This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Walking home alone at night can feel like a military exercise. There is no way to get used to that prick of anxiety when a bush rustles  or a streetlight is not bright enough. Women especially are told from a young age to be constantly aware of their surroundings, and every woman has her own evasive and preventative tactics. While those tactics can vary, there are a few basic things everyone can do to stay safe. 

Find Some Light

This seems simple, but dark areas make it hard to see and for security cameras to pick up footage. It is awful to even have to think about that, but after Brock Turner’s case ruling we have to think ahead more than ever. Use some sort flashlight in areas without streetlights, although if you feel that would draw too much attention that is definitely your call to make. Bottom line: Make sure you can see.

Keep your Ears Open

Speaking of the senses, it’s important to keep headphone volume low or putting just one in your ear if possible. It doesn’t matter if it’s Rihanna’s new album that she will definitely release before we’re all fifty, being aware of your surroundings is extremely important. Your senses will know anything before you do and doing this can only benefit you.

Walk in Crowded Areas

I get it, being around other people can heighten that late-night paranoia. However, there is safety in numbers, and having people around means that there is a smaller chance that something could happen, and plenty of help if it does. It’s an opportunity to disappear from any curious eyes and possibly meet some new people to walk home with. 

Know Your Route

You can keep your eyes and ears open easier if you aren’t constantly looking at a phone. Familiarize yourself with where you are going. If you are familiar with the area already, then it can’t hurt to remind yourself of some alternate routes, just in case. Look like you know where you’re going even if you don’t, it gives the impression that you are confident and won’t let anyone get in your way.  

Remember Your Options

You have options! If you feel uncomfortable walking home at night call Husky NightWalk ( (206) 685-9255 ) or NightRide services. NightRide stops and schedules are on most bus stops on campus. The people who work at these campus programs signed up to be there, so please don’t feel weird calling! They want you to be safe, that’s what they’re there for. You can also call a friend to meet you or talk with you to have someone there ensuring that you’re okay. Calling 911 is also an option if there is an emergency, of course. 

Hopefully these tips will help if that anxiety or feeling of helplessness comes up while walking home at night. Obviously, this article doesn’t address what to do in serious situations at night like stalking, and if that is something you are struggling with or fearful of please speak with a counselor, therapist, or at the very least someone you trust.  You are never alone.

Additional Resources: 

1. The University of Washington’s Counseling Center offers Individual and Group Counseling among other resources, which can be found on their website

2. National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (toll-free): 800-273-8255

3. National Sexual Assault Hotline: 1-800-656-4673

4. Rape, Sexual Assault, Abuse, and Incest National Network (RAINN): (800) 656-HOPE

5. Safe Horizon

Simone Anguera

Washington '23

Simone Anguera is a first year student at the University of Washington. She enjoys health, fashion, fragrances, books, animals, and the outdoors.