4 Binge-Worthy Netflix Shows You’ve Probably Never Heard Of

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

These days, Netflix has so many great shows (especially their originals!) that it’s hard to keep up with—and sometimes, they can be hit and miss. However, there are a couple gems in their repertoire of shows that aren’t necessarily as popular as Orange is the New Black, but are just as original in premise and show much promise for growth. Here are four shows on Netflix that you’ve probably never heard of, but might just be your new favorite. 

1. Atypical

Atypical revolves around the life and family of Sam, an 18-year-old on the autism spectrum. As he seeks more independence in the real world, we see the challenges he comes across in his honest attempts at connecting with others. This captivating dramedy will make you fall in love with its nuanced and realistic characters, while giving an insightful look on some of the challenges that those on the autism spectrum face. There are moments in this show that are so honest and touching that it’ll catch you by surprise, but be impactful nonetheless. 

2. Disjointed

Disjointed is a sitcom style show surrounding a team of “budtenders” in a marijuana dispensary. This is the type of show that someone could watch on a study break, but have the will power to not watch the next episode (though it’s still tempting to binge). Aside from being hilarious and goofy, this show also sheds light on the many different types of people who use cannabis. Though there are those who use it recreationally, the show demonstrates how helpful it can be for medicinal use through characters like Carter, a veteran with PTSD, who uses cannabis to ease his symptoms and chronic stress.

3. The Magicians

The Magicians is about a group of students who are recruited to a secret academy for learning magic. They quickly learn it’s not all fun and games, as they become entangled with dangerous people and situations. Though it has a light-hearted and Harry-Potter-like premise, this show actually has a dark and riveting storyline that will keep you binge-watching through the seasons. (TW: violence and sexual assault). 

4. Santa Clarita Diet

Santa Clarita Diet is about married real estate agents Sheila and Joel. When Sheila suddenly grows zombie-like symptoms like throwing up, having no heartbeat, and only being able to eat people, Sheila and Joel begin a double life of being normal real estate agents by day and murderers by night to satiate Sheila’s hunger. We watch as the two try to balance their lives between normal suburbia and figuring out what’s happening to her. Though Dexter-like in premise, it’s much more light-hearted and funny, while keeping up a mystery that you’ll likely want to get to the bottom of.