This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Life is hard, and sometimes we all get to the point where we need to just let out a good cry. School, home, and life can really get to us, and it is important to make sure that we are not holding in our emotions for too long. However, sometimes we need a movie to kick start our emotions, and really let our cries out. I decided to compile a list of 4 of my favorite movies to watch when I need a good cry. I included short descriptions and where to watch them, so you can choose what movie is best for you. Remember that being emotional and crying is never a bad thing. Letting out our emotions keeps us healthy and keeps our mood in a happy balance. 

1. Clouds (Disney +)

Clouds follows the true story of teenager Zach Sobiech, who has an ongoing battle with cancer. Zach releases a hit song “Clouds” that takes the world by storm. The powerful song was heard and loved by many. Zach becomes a well-known household name and story, while he is battling his cancer. The movie follows his musical career, relationship, friendships, and his health. 

2. Charlie St. Cloud (Free with Amazon Prime Subscription)

Charlie St. Cloud features Zac Efron, and follows the story of Charlie, an extremely skilled sailor with big college dreams. Charlie is extremely close with his younger brother, Sam, who dies in a terrible accident. The loss of Sam completely ruins all of Charlie’s dreams of the future. Charlie has the gift of being able to see his dead brother. However, when the life of the girl he loves is at risk, Charlie must choose between his girlfriend and his brother.

3. The Spectacular Now (Hulu)

The Spectacular Now follows the unexpected romance between an extremely extroverted partier, Sutter, and introverted Aimee. The two meet when Sutter gets drunk one night and wakes up the next morning on Aimee’s front lawn. This coming of age film deals with the effects of alcoholism on relationships. 

4. Good Will Hunting (Free with Amazon Prime Subscription + Hulu)

Will Hunting, played by young Matt Damon, is a troubled young man with a genius-level IQ. Will works as a janitor at MIT, but his intelligence is discovered by a MIT professor when he solves a graduate-level math problem. The professor decides to take Will in and help him reach his full potential, however he must also attend therapy with Sean Maguire (played by Robin Williams). 

Haley Toch

Washington '23

I am an English major with a passion for writing lifestyle pieces! Instagram: @haleytoch twitter: @haleytoch