Wellness

3 Important Things You May Not Have Thought About Within the Past Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

1. You should focus on the present, and breaking down your goals.

I might be speaking for everyone when I say that I’ve been having trouble coping with the weirdness in the world right now. I consider myself to be a pretty positive person, and a strong person as well, but for a while I was struggling. I know that everyone is going through varying levels of hardship with the pandemic, but everyone’s losses and struggles are equally valid; that’s so important to keep in mind.

My mind has been reeling, and always looking toward the future. There is an insane amount of uncertainty. Potentially, even more seemingly stable plans may get cancelled. So, stop trying to fight it, because otherwise, you will become exhausted quickly (if you haven’t already).

Focus on what you’re doing right now. For me, my routine (which partially consists of running, writing, schoolwork, and cleaning) is the only thing I can control at the present moment. I have huge plans for the upcoming months (as I’m sure many of you do), and what I’ve realized is that breaking those giant goals into day-to-day tasks can help with that. Speaking of which, check out my article: Planning for Summer in a Time Where Planning is Extremely Difficult

2. You should not be blaming yourself. Instead, do your part, and do the best you can.

For a while, I felt frustrated every day, and I couldn’t figure out why, especially since I felt I had come to terms with the inevitability of all of this uncertainty. Plans were cancelled, and that didn’t make me happy, but I also accepted that the whole world is on pause. Despite this, I still felt frustrated, and that frustration only escalated as weeks went by without presenting an answer.

I soon realized that I was blaming myself. I was feeling upset that I wasn’t able to work, that I wasn’t able to meet my obligations in school as well as I used to, and that I felt unproductive and so far behind where I wanted to be. Of course, then I came to terms with the fact that it’s not my fault. It’s not your fault. If you’re washing your hands, self-isolating, and being an overall responsible person considering the current circumstances, that’s all you can do. Progress is hindered during this time; everything has slowed significantly! Everyone is dealing with this whole fiasco in different ways, but perhaps some of you have felt this way, too. Don’t let this period of unpredictability get in the way of your own self-worth.

3. If you can, you should be using this time to work ahead, and relaxation may be a part of that.

Don’t feel guilty for spending time on yourself, whether that means going for a long walk, or spending extra time in the bathtub, or binge-watching a new Netflix series (I recommend Ozark or Dead to Me, by the way). You might need it. Part of your journey for growth during this time might require relaxation, and that is perfectly normal, not to mention perfectly necessary.

Lauren Hapgood

Washington '21

Lauren Hapgood is an English (Creative Writing) major at the University of Washington.