This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

As 2016 approaches, girls across the globe are creating calligraphic lists of their new year’s resolutions. A new year most notably brings new hair or new diets, but what about something that requires a little less commitment? How about some new wardrobe pieces to start off the year on top of your game? Designer runway shows for spring 2016 have already fostered predictions for what’s haute and what’s not. Soon, runway trends will trickle down onto the bodies of your favorite celebs and then into your favorite stores. So here’s a little heads up on what’s to come for all you hip dressers out there. As Kimora Lee Simmons once said, “always dress like you’re going to see your worst enemy.” But don’t forget that the real secret to rocking any outfit is confidence. So don’t be afraid to take a risk this year! If you like any of these trends, but think you could never pull it off, think again. You’ve got it. You always have. 

In hopes of lowering the odds, here are a few trends to re-vamp your wardrobe. 

SUEDE
What’s not to love about suede? It’s soft on your skin, adds texture to your outfit, and is seasonally versatile. You’ll most likely opt for suede boots or flats, but definitely invest in a solid suede skirt. Suede skirts waved hello this past fall, especially the button front, and we have welcomed them in. It’s clear that suede is no longer the stuff of cowboys, but the stuff of sophistication. Try tucking in a basic mock or turtle neck top, and you’ll suddenly feel like a Parisian It Girl. (carry around your textbooks for added effect)

COLD SHOULDER CUTS
Asymmetrical cuts, cut-outs, and off-the-shoulder pieces were popular in 2015. These trends are here to stay. Most spotted during fashion month was the x-shaped silhouette up top. This is a subtle play on the classically coy off-the-shoulder look. No longer relegated to GNO’s, this style will give your shoulders a little more time in the sun. 

LOW SLUNG PANTS
High-waisted pants have been in the spotlight for a good while, but the sartorial pendulum has swung back with low-riders. Recall early 2000’s Britney Spears. Okay, maybe not that low. But definitely sitting below the hips. With a casual tee or even a crop top, low slung pants give off the effortlessly cool vibe—the one that exudes from Kim Possible and Lara Croft.

LINGERIE
Visions of silk, piping, and flowing cuts. In 2015, we saw a lot of slinky slips and the rise of intricately detailed undergarments (think For Love & Lemons). It looks like designers weren’t ready to get out of bed yet. And really, neither were we. There is something undeniably classy yet sultry about a good robe, and now it’s time to bring the luxury to the streets. 

ORANGE
Perhaps orange really is the new black. Just look at Poe Dameron in the new Star Wars. He’s obviously doing it right. If you’re too scared to jump into the deep-end, try dipping your toes in by accessorizing with a pop of orange. A bright scarf or pair of shoes paired with an otherwise clean and simple outfit will still catch eyes on campus.  

Honorable mentions: big ruffles, shimmering metallics, slippers, fishnet, and loud patterns.

Let’s be honest though, the real MVP will forever and always be your sweatpants. But hey, with pajamas making their daytime debut, something may be in-store for those baggy sweats of yours. But probably not.

Erin Lee

Washington '17

I guess the format goes something like year, major, clubs...but I don't really think those things are integral to defining who I am. What really defines me is a loaded question, so I'll just throw out some things that come to mind: 1. I'm one of those social introverts. I much prefer small group and one-on-one interactions, but I can deal with large mixers. So long as I have a mixed drink in hand. 2. I am proud to live in the PNW. I mean, make fun of Socality posts all you want (I do), but we have trees. We have mountains. Water (both swimmable and drinkable, California). All four seasons. And diversity. Diverse cultures. This means more history. More food. More languages.  3. I thrive on intelligent conversation. I don't mean that in a pretentious way. I just mean that I lack the patience for small talk or shallow conversations. I value honesty to the point where it's a bit abrasive--I want to know what makes you tick. We can discuss favorite colors later. Intelligent conversation also means creating a space for listening and learning in the face of disagreement.  4. I'm definitely into the arts more than athletics. Not saying I am artistically skilled, more like artistically inclined. I find beauty in art of all media. But especially, especially music. What am I currently listening to? The OST for Whiplash. So, Big Band Jazz! All the thumbs up.   Okay I'll stop here because this was supposed to be short. But yes, I am in college. I go to the University of Washington and I'm pursuing a business marketing degree.