This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

Taking care of yourself during stressful and busy times can stay at the top of your to-do list with these simple habits. Remind yourself to be gentle and kind to yourself–you are working hard and the stress that you feel now will pass. In the meantime, I hope these tips may help relax your mind in some way!

1. Paint your nails with a vibrant color or glitter polish! As college students taking online classes, I’ve found that typing on my keyboard with fun nails helps to boost my mood in a small but no less important way. If you tend to bite your nails when you’re nervous or stressed, this can help prevent it too. Have fun with your nail design!
  2. Wear your favorite color. This is a small way to show yourself that you are prioritizing YOU! If you normally dress in neutrals and don’t feel like trying something outside of your comfort zone, you can try to incorporate your favorite color into accessories (belt, earrings, rings, a stripe on a sneaker, etc.) instead of completely committing to a monochrome outfit. 
  3. Start a new notebook. The feeling of starting fresh is irreplaceable. If you have a class that has been feeling overwhelming, consider starting a new unit in a new notebook or even on looseleaf pages–a blank canvas for you to get back on track! I’ve found that starting fresh makes my mind feel less cluttered and gives me the opportunity to reorganize the way I take notes/the way that I study!
  4. Sleeping in on days you don’t have early classes. You may be a morning person who gets up early to get the day started, but if you have had a busy day/late night the day before, you can still stick to your schedule of things to get done the next day, but can start the day a bit later to allow yourself to recharge! Sleep to “reset” your mentality and face the day with a more positive, energized mood!
  5. Fresh air. As the weather begins to get nicer, try to spend more time outside! The sunshine and warm weather will boost your mood, and it will feel nice to change up where you take classes and finish work. Maybe even bring a picnic and listen to lectures at the park!
Addie Li

Wash U '24

currently obsessed with tie-dye
breakfast & poetry enthusiast