This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

The walkways are overrun with dying leaves, it’s pitch black out by 5 p.m., and Olin is constantly packed full of overwhelmed students. All of this can only mean one thing: it’s exam season. Now, before you let out an aggravated scream or burst into a pile of tears, let me tell you that it is 100% possible to survive these two weeks of terror. While you might not be able to convince your professor to cancel your final, there are numerous ways you can minimize your stress and better your mental health amidst the chaos.

1. Take Breaks!

I know sometimes it seems like spending five hours straight reviewing your biology notes from every lecture this semester might be the most effective way to study, but I can assure you that is NOT THE WAY TO GO when it comes to taking care of yourself! Even if you’re in the zone, it’s important to take a break every 60-90 minutes to avoid issues your health and productivity.

2. Get Moving!

Make sure you’re still getting up and getting active! Whether you go about your usual workout routine, sign up for a spin class at the AC, or just take a stroll around the S40, it’s essential that you keep your body active! Not to mention, breaking a sweat has been proven to relieve stress and release endorphins.

3. Study in Groups!

Getting together with classmates or friends to review course materials has countless benefits. You’re able to test each others knowledge, turn to one another for guidance, and you get some much needed social interaction! It’s good to use a variety of studying techniques and settings while you prep to take your exam. (Plus, working in a group can be a helpful reminder that you’re not alone in this!)

1. Take Things One Step at a Time!

Take a deep breath in . . . now let it out. If you look at all you have on your plate at once, you are bound to get overwhelmed! It’s important to layout your goals and tasks to better tackle them one by one! Write things down, plan out your time, and remind yourself: IT’S OKAY NOT TO DO EVERYTHING ALL AT ONCE!

1. Have a Self-Care Night!

I can’t speak for everyone, but I know that spending some time treating myself after a day spent studying makes me feel 10x better. Face masks, manicures, warm baths, and binge watching your favorite Netflix show are just a few ways to take care of your mental health and take some much needed YOU time.

Psychology & Women and Gender Studies Major Writing Minor
Wash U class of 2021; Majoring in Psychological and Brain Sciences with minors in Art History and Communication Design.