This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

Prior to coming to college, I had never cooked before. The extent of my cooking knowledge was making peanut butter and jelly sandwich for lunch. I assumed I would manage fine in college without the ability to cook, however, I soon learned that this was not the case. Although WashU has a lot of dining options, I found that I got tired of eating similar things every day. I was determined to find easy recipes that I could make in my kitchenless dorm. Here’s a list of my favorite dorm-friendly food options that got me through my freshmen year.

1. Microwavable Oatmeal

All you need is a bowl, water, and a package of Quaker Oats and you have yourself a quick and easy breakfast. I used to top my oatmeal off with fresh berries and honey for extra flavor.

2. Hard Boiled Eggs

I highly recommend investing in a hard-boiled egg cooker. These machines let you cook hard-boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, and omelets from your dorm room. They go for only $15 on Amazon and are a huge lifesaver if you’re an egg fanatic like I am.

3. Parfaits

If you have a mini-fridge in your dorm room, all you have to do is buy some yogurt, fresh fruit, and granola and you have yourself a healthy and delicious breakfast.

4. Smoothies

You can use a Magic Bullet or any inexpensive blender to make delicious smoothies from the comfort of your room. All you need is some yogurt, fruit, and ice.

5. Microwavable Rice

Use your meal points to get some microwavable rice from Paws & Go and use it as a base for any meal. I enjoy buying microwavable tofu to eat with it, but you can get creative.

Hopefully these healthy and easy-to-make meal ideas inspired you to go grocery shopping and stop eating at BD. Who knew dorm food could be something other than Ramen?

Hi, my name's Mia Anastasio and I'm a sophomore studying Computer Science at WashU. If you can't find me, I'm probably at the library or the movie theater.
We are WashU's Her Campus site designed for collegiettes here on campus.