This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

Thanks to Tiktok – more specifically #skintok and @SkincareByHyram – my skincare routine has improved greatly over the past couple of years. My skin has been so much happier with me since high school, and I’d like to share some of the products that I believe helped get me there! (*Note: I have oily and non-sensitive skin with not too many acne problems, easily-gained dark spots, and a bit of texture; some of these products may not resonate with your unique skin type). 

1. La Roche-Posay Toleriane Purifying Foaming Face Wash for Oily Skin

I’ve used a lot of cleansers over the years, and I have to say this one is my favorite. I feel like my face is being cleansed without being completely stripped/dry, and it also has a nice, clean scent that’s not overpowering. 

1. The Ordinary AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution

Despite how this mask makes me look like I have blood all over my face, using this mask twice a week has helped me with my textured skin and reducing the look of dark spots as well. But it is quite strong – which is the reason I only use it a couple of times a week – so I would suggest doing some more research on this product before trying it yourself. 

1. The Ordinary Glycolic Acid 7% Toning Solution

I use this toner after cleansing my face, and it helps me with textural skin irregularities and clearing up my pores. I also think it helps give my skin a ‘glowy’ look, but maybe that’s just me.

1. Cerave PM Facial Moisturizing Lotion

I only recently started using this nighttime moisturizer, but I already know I love it. Other nighttime moisturizers I’ve used in the past have been too heavy and uncomfortable on my face. But this one is perfectly lightweight and oil-free, while also providing the necessary hydration I need throughout the night. 

1. Curology customized treatment

I’ve heard mixed reviews about Curology, but I personally feel like my custom treatment bottle has helped tame my (albeit, limited) acne problems. I deal with a lot less random breakouts than I used to. Thankfully, Curology gives you a free one-month trial custom treatment, as long as you pay about $5 for shipping (which is a pretty good deal if you just want to test it out). I did exactly that, and *ta-da* I’ve been using it ever since. 

1. Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen SPF 40 (or any facial sunscreen)

Last but definitely not least on my list is sunscreen. My mom used to nag me about putting on sunscreen, and I never did, which I regret because I now know how important SPF is for your skin. Despite how helpful all of the above products are for my skin, most of them do increase my risk for long-term, sun-related skin damage (mostly, because of my textured skin and dark spot problems). So, I use a sunscreen from Supergoop! because of how lightweight and mattifying it is, but really any facial sunscreen will do. Don’t be like past-me, and please wear sunscreen! Your future self/skin will thank you immensely. 

Casey is a student at Washington University in St. Louis, studying Psychology with a minor in Design. Aside from her love for pasta and Netflix-binging, she will most likely do ~anything for the aesthetic~.
breakfast & poetry enthusiast