This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

The phrase “self care” is usually accompanied by images of affluent white women doing face masks, taking bubble baths, and drinking wine. But the truth is, self care goes farther and deeper than that.

There’s no one picture of what self care is. The reason why is in the name. Self care. Taking care of yourself. Everyone needs something different, so self care can be different for everyone.

Some people practice self care by taking some time for themselves in the form of a bubble bath with a glass of wine. And that’s okay. But there are infinite other ways to take care of yourself, based on what you need.

The real trick to perfect self care? Listen to yourself. Know what you need.

Maybe it’s taking a lot of little steps to make yourself feel like a human again after a crazy week. Or a bunch of small moments where you can just pause when you’re going through something hard. Maybe you need to get up and move or sit down and stay still. Maybe you need to be around people, or you need time alone. Maybe you just need to breathe.

Whatever it is, you deserve to do it. You deserve to take care of yourself. Self care isn’t selfish. It’s necessary. That doesn’t mean spending money is necessary, but knowing yourself well enough to know what you need is.

This isn’t easy for everyone, and that’s okay too. Sometimes listening to yourself takes practice. When you don’t feel like you have the time or energy to take care of yourself, figure out what you can realistically handle, and make time for it. Find a way.

The trick to self care is just to recognize what you need, and do it. In the end, it’s your body, mind, and life. Take care of it.

Maya Schaer

Wash U '21

Maya Schaer is a sophomore at Washington University in St. Louis from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She is majoring in American Culture Studies and minoring in Writing and Design.
Wash U class of 2021; Majoring in Psychological and Brain Sciences with minors in Art History and Communication Design.