This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

Since the beginning of August, I’ve been doing my absolute best to follow a plant-based diet. My original plan was to try out veganism during the summer while I was in my “health-kick” stage. It was an extremely drastic change at first as I learned more about how to make new recipes, eat clean as a vegan, and make sure I was still getting all of the protein and nutrients I needed. However, as summer came to a close and I packed my bags for college, I realized I wanted to continue eating vegan. I’d grown to love the diet and the results I’d seen both physically and mentally. So now I was faced with a difficult question: Is it even possible to eat vegan in college? After being at WashU for a month, I have concluded that it is TOTALLY possible! 

Here are a couple of my favorite on-campus vegan options that I’ve been loving:

1. Cherry Tree Cafe

Ask for a build-your-own veggie and from that point on, the possibilities are endless! There are so many options for bread, veggies, and sauces! You customize your order so it’s really easy to know exactly what’s going into your food. My go-to here is a tortilla wrap with hummus, pesto, spinach, red onion, and tomato (don’t forget to get it toasted!).

2. Paws & Go

There are so many options here for those following a plant-based diet. The salad bar is always stocked with fresh veggies, there’s a fruit bar with lots to choose from, and even vegan cookies to help satisfy your sweet tooth! My favorite thing to get from Paws & Go is the Sriracha Hummus Snack Pack. These are offered in many of the cafes on campus as well and make for an amazing snack between classes! They’re marked with a dark green vegan sticker to let you know everything in the pack meets your dietary needs.

3. Millbrook Market

This tiny grab and go market is full of many unique, vegan-friendly snack options! From edamame crisps to apple chips, you’re sure to find something new to try! (Also, don’t worry: they have your favorite vegan-friendly junk foods, too.)

While those are just a few of my favorite vegan options here so far, it’s not difficult to find something plant-based to eat on campus. Just look for the green “VGN” stickers on menus to find a meal or snack that works for you!

Psychology & Women and Gender Studies Major Writing Minor
Wash U class of 2021; Majoring in Psychological and Brain Sciences with minors in Art History and Communication Design.