This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

It’s kind of overwhelming just how many TV shows exist out there today. And as someone who doesn’t invest too much time into binge-watching the latest trends, I never really feel inclined to start watching any of them, whether they be as recent as Netflix’s Black Mirror or an oldie like, say, Friends.

Now, I might not like starting a new show, but out of the limited repertoire of shows I have watched, I can say with 100% certainty that the following five are ones not to be missed. Completely binge-worthy. And that’s coming from me so it must mean something right? No? Okay…  

So if you think you’ve exhausted Netflix’s most recent line-up of “trending now” and “top picks for you” shows, look no further! Here are five shows you should start watching straightaway, if you haven’t already. I can promise you they’re not as dull as I am:

1. Lost (2004-2010)

Think a plane crash on an island couldn’t get more complicated than that? You could not be more far from the truth. 6 seasons, 120 episodes, and an unforgettable line-up of characters speaks for itself. Did I mention it’s award-winning as well?

2. Prison Break (2005-2009, 2017)

Some more edge-of-your-seat thrill and non-stop action. One might wonder how it takes 4 seasons and 81 episodes to break an innocent man out of prison and clear him of all charges. Well apparently it requires a 5th. You can’t help but feel sympathy for our two protagonists by the end of it all. They really just deserve a break.

3. Downton Abbey (2011-2016)

Not at all some soap-opera period drama. 6 seasons and 52 episodes make for a moving plot with moving characters, with its share of conflict and suspense. And it’s set in England to top it off. In an elaborately luxurious house/castle.

4. The Walking Dead (2010-present)

Follow yet another set of unforgettable characters in their never-ending fight against the undead and what’s left of mankind. In its 9th season with 100+ episodes, nothing seems to ever get better for our protagonists. The story slows down here and there, but the early episodes are really worth your time. If you feel hooked, check out its spin-off series Fear the Walking Dead, though I will say its 4th season wasn’t quite up to par with the rest.

5. A Series of Unfortunate Events (2017-2019)

Sick of complicated, dragged-out storylines and character relationships? Need some utterly ridiculous dark comedy to lighten your mood? Well you can get all of that here in 3 short seasons. And yes, you don’t have to be a kid to watch it. 

Unfortunately, only The Walking Dead and A Series of Unfortunate Events can currently be found on Netflix. Happy Searching ?

Adelaide Choi is a student at Washington University in St. Louis double majoring in French and IAS with a concentration in International Affairs.
Wash U class of 2021; Majoring in Psychological and Brain Sciences with minors in Art History and Communication Design.