Cameron Smith-Spain Barcelona Abroad Europe Street Buildings Girl City Sun Hair
Cameron Smith / Her Campus
Wellness > Health

Dissecting My OrangeTheory Obsession

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

Never before had I considered myself a gym person and someone who “liked to work out”. I played sports in high school which I mainly enjoyed for the social aspect and when I would go to the gym, it was more of a chore than something I actually enjoyed. However, this summer in June I decided to try OrangeTheory Fitness on a whim and discovered and workout that I love and am passionate about!

OrangeTheory is a HIIT style workout, comprised of time on the floor, rower, and treadmill. Most participants wear a heartrate monitor, where they can see their “zone” displayed on the monitor above them. The goal of the workout is to get your heartrate to the Orange Zone (84-91% of your maximum heart rate) for at least 12 minutes of the workout. If you achieve these 12 minutes in the Orange Zone, or “Splat Points”, your body should experience excess post-exercise oxygen consumption (EPOC), which means your body is working harder to recover the oxygen you lost and even sometimes causes your metabolism to burn calories up to 36 hours after your workout is done!

While I definitely enjoy the health benefits and encouraging science behind OrangeTheory, the energy and experience when I am in the studio is why I love it. While everyone is coached on the same workouts, they are customizable for each person. On the treadmill when the coach yells, “PUSH”, or “ALL OUT” each person’s speed and incline is determined by themselves and what they feel comfortable with. While no coach will shame you for going a bit slower or lifting lighter weights, there is constant encouragement to push yourself and see what you can do. 

Even on days in the studio when I don’t reach 12 splat points or I find myself struggling through reps and throughout the workout, I leave each workout feeling proud and encouraged by what I accomplished. If anyone is looking for a workout for any skill level where they will be pushed, I encourage giving OrangeTheory a try! 

Majoring in Psychology and minoring in art history and children's studies.