This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

However weird it may sound, COVID has actually boosted my motivation to work out and stay fit. But with the many COVID restrictions, my go-to workout methods are simply off the table. Here are some of my favorite ways to work out during COVID:

1. Go for a Run, Walk, or Run-Walk

I have always hated running, but I absolutely love the feeling after I finish a run. I have gotten more into running since COVID started, and absolutely love running in Forest Park. I highly recommend going for a run, walk, or a mix of both while the weather is still (relatively) good. It’s great to go outside, explore Saint Louis a bit, and get a workout in!

2. Do an Online Workout Video

While not as exciting as doing a workout class in person, online workout videos are a great way to get a quick workout in from home. I prefer workouts that don’t seem too repetitive and have good music. My favorite are Mad Fit’s dance workout videos on YouTube– I literally have so much fun while I am doing them that I don’t even realize how much of a workout I am getting until the end!

3. Yoga

Yoga is extremely relaxing and makes my whole body feel better. Not only that, but it is also incredibly stress-relieving. Whether you find a guided yoga video on YouTube (I like Yoga with Adriene) or you simply play some calming music and do it yourself, yoga is a nice way to get a calmer workout while simultaneously de-stressing

4. Make a Workout Challenge for Yourself

While it’s unlikely there will be any fun races or similar activities in the near future, there’s no reason why you can’t create a workout challenge for yourself. Commit yourself to do a workout video every day, come up with a training plan to run a 10k, or try to walk a marathon with friends. I highly recommend everyone does this – it feels so accomplishing to accomplish a workout challenge and goal.

5. Go Outside!

I highly recommend doing as many of these workouts as possible outdoors. It’s scientifically proven that spending time outdoors boosts your mood and makes you feel better all around. Personally, I find myself feeling refreshed and rejuvenated after spending time outdoors. Especially since we are spending so much time in our rooms these days, I encourage you all to take every chance you get to go outside – you won’t regret it.

I hope some or all of these tips give you the motivation you need to feel your best self during COVID. Working out always puts me in a better mood and makes me feel more confident. I hope that these tips allow you to find some workouts to do during these strange and unprecedented times.

Lydia Sidrys

Wash U '24

Hi! I am a first-year at WashU from Chicago and am interested in studying International and Area Studies!
We are WashU's Her Campus site designed for collegiettes here on campus.