Blueberry Muffins
Blueberry Muffins
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

The Best Banana Crumb Muffins

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

While everyone else was baking banana bread during quarantine, I was baking the best banana crumb muffins ever (nothing against banana bread though)! My family doesn’t even like sweets too much, but they surprisingly loved these, and so did my friends who do have sweet tooths – basically, these are for everyone. I baked these muffins so many times that it’s now become one of my baking go-to’s because it’s pretty quick and easy, and I’ve decided to share the recipe. Hope you enjoy! 

Ingredients

Muffins

• 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 3 bananas, mashed
  • ¾ cup white sugar
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1/3 cup butter, melted

Crumb topping

• 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon butter

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
  2. Lightly grease 10-12 muffin/cupcake cups, or line with muffin/cupcake papers.
  3. In a large bowl, mix together 1 ½ cups of flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. 
  4. In another bowl, beat together bananas, sugar, egg, and melted butter.
  5. Stir the banana mixture into the flour mixture just until moistened. 
  6. Spoon the combined batter into prepared muffin/cupcake cups. 
  7. In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, 2 tablespoons flour, and cinnamon. Then, cut in 1 tablespoon butter until the mixture resembles small crumbs or coarse cornmeal – this is the crumb topping. 
  8. Sprinkle the crumb topping over the muffins.
  9. Bake in preheated oven for about 18-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean.
  10. Take the muffins out of oven and enjoy! (maybe after a bit of cooling)

Casey is a student at Washington University in St. Louis, studying Psychology with a minor in Design. Aside from her love for pasta and Netflix-binging, she will most likely do ~anything for the aesthetic~.
breakfast & poetry enthusiast