This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

You have probably heard of those PE courses that are highly sought after during registration time. Not only are they a fun way to earn a credit or two but they also force you to get your butt to the gym. Starting out as a personal trainer in his hometown, junior Arjun Vij now teaches those popular PE spinning classes at Wash U in the AC and also teaches for the South 40 Fitness Center (AKA Estrogym). Even if you don’t have time to take one of his classes at the Estrogym or cannot get into a PE course during registration, you can check out Arjun’s spinning skills at his free Saturday class. Read on to learn more about this outdoorsy biology major!

Hometown: San Ramon, CA

Major: Biology

On-campus involvement: Resident Advisor, academic mentor for struggling freshmen, spinning instructor for the South 40 Fitness Center and the Physical Education department

When did you first start spinning? My senior year.

Is it your favorite form of exercise? Other than playing sports, it is the only form of cardio I can stand.

What are some of your other hobbies? I love the outdoors, especially backpacking. I have backpacked over 1,000 miles all over the West Coast.

Did you ever play any sports? I played basketball in high school.

How/when did you start teaching spinning classes? The summer after my senior year in high school I worked as a personal trainer and spin instructor.

How did you land that? I just applied for the job and gave a few demo classes to the owner of the gym. 

What do you think is the best thing about spinning or spinning classes? Spinning lets me get a solid cardio workout in without thinking about cardio. I like classes because it’s easier to be tired and sweaty if I see a bunch of toher people doing the same thing.

Do you teach any other exercise classes on campus? Other than the Monday/Wednesday PE class, I also teach a class on Saturdays from 1-1:45pm. It’s free so you should all come! It’s in the spinning studio in the AC.

Thoughts on Soul Cycle? I think all exercise is great, whatever gets you sweating and releasing endorphins. 

Sydney Davis is a senior at Washington University in St. Louis majoring in Film & Media Studies and minoring in Writing. She loves running, exploring new cities, fashion, boating, and most importantly, Whole Foods.