Why Every Young Girl Needs to Watch Studio Ghibli

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waseda chapter.

In America, it is an undisputed fact that the greatest animated children’s movies are made by either Walt Disney or Pixar Studios. As children, we grew up watching classics like The Lion King, Aladdin, or The Little Mermaid, with their flashy musical sequences and the archetypal hero’s journey that always, always resulted in one happy ending or another. Being primarily raised in the United States, these Disney classics do hold a special place in my heart; but unlike most of my friends, I also had the privilege of being raised with the films of Studio Ghibli, which is inarguably the most famous animation studio in Japan. Led by the genius that is Hayao Miyazaki, Studio Ghibli’s films are renowned for their whimsical plots, profoundly deep messages, and the depth of its characters, many of which are young, independent women.

In comparison to Studio Ghibli, I think that Disney has a long way to go in terms of writing movies that prominently feature young female protagonists. When Frozen first came out it was hailed by critics for its feminist plot line because it was considered a story about sisterhood rather than another romance story. People couldn’t stop talking about how Frozen finally offered acceptable role models for young girls; but if you’ve ever seen a Studio Ghibli film before, you would understand that this is not the case. In my opinion, it is far from this case, which is why I want to give some of my own suggestions for Studio Ghibli movies that I think every young girl—or anyone, really, for that matter—should watch.

My Neighbor Totoro

If you want a movie about sisterhood, My Neighbor Totoro is the movie to watch, not Frozen. This movie tells the story of two sisters, Satsuki and Mei, who move into the countryside with their father while their mother is being kept in the hospital for treatment of an unknown illness. You are probably familiar with the image of the titular character Totoro, the friendly forest spirit that the two young girls befriend, because he has become recognized as one of the most popular characters in Japanese film and animation. (If you don’t believe me, watch this Bob’s Burgers homage sequence to My Neighbor Totoro). This was also the first Studio Ghibli film my parents introduced me to, and despite its wholesome and carefree adventure storyline, I have always been deeply touched by the film’s representation of family. Satsuki and Mei’s sibling relationship is at the center of this story, and as an older sister, I can’t help but always feel like I need to make more of effort with my own younger sister after watching Totoro.   

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind

I actually wouldn’t recommend this movie for any girls under the age of at least ten, drawing from my own experience of watching this film when I was younger and being absolutely terrified by some of the violent imagery and life or death predicaments that the characters face, but for some reason Nausicaa was my younger sister’s absolute favorite (no exaggeration here; she owned every possible piece of Nausicaa merchandise she could get her hands on) movie for the longest time—and she was well under ten when she first saw it. This movie is not for the faint of heart. To put it bluntly, Nausicaa is one of the baddest bitches to grace film screens. She’s a teenage girl with no apparent fear of death, as she flies around on an electric hang-glider and fights for justice and essentially saves the world from toxic ruin, but I’m not going to tell you how she accomplishes all of this; you’ll just have to see for yourself.

Kiki’s Delivery Service

This is a lovely little coming of age story about a teenage witch who leaves behind her family as part of the tradition in becoming a proper witch. In contrast to Nausicaa, the storyline is nowhere near as intense or profound, but Kiki’s Delivery Service tackles the subject of growing up really nicely and I think that all adolescent girls can understand or relate to Kiki’s adventures. Even though I am technically a legal adult now, watching Kiki’s struggles to live on her own and take care of herself have never been more relevant to me since I’ve arrived in Tokyo, because I am essentially being forced to do the same, minus my own cute talking animal sidekick and ability to fly on a broom. This movie reassures you that it’s okay to be lost and not know what you’re doing all the time.

Spirited Away

Spirited Away is the only one of Studio Ghibli’s films to win an Academy Award, and consequently is probably the most widely known Studio Ghibli movie around the world. Like Kiki’s Delivery Service, there is a coming of age theme as the movie focuses on its protagonist, a young girl named Chihiro who is moving to a new home and is not very happy about it. On the way to their new home, Chihiro and her parents get lost and subsequently find themselves in the spirit world, where Chihiro becomes trapped. After that, it’s a wild ride as you follow Chihiro’s efforts to free herself from the spirit world, and crazy shit happens, to say the least. The film’s imaginative rendering of the spirit world and its array of intriguing characters are dazzling, but it’s important to remember who is at the heart of the story itself: an ordinary ten-year-old girl. Without Chihiro as its protagonist, Spirited Away would lose its charm, which comes from viewing this world through her eyes.

Princess Mononoke

Unlike the other movies I’ve already listed, the main character in this movie is not the titular princess herself (whose name is actually San; Mononoke is a general term in Japanese for a spirit or monster.) but a young man. Meanwhile, San undoubtedly steals the show, and it’s quite refreshing to see the main character fawn over her in completely awe and admiration despite her numerous attempts to kill him, which is probably the most romantic thing to occur in a Studio Ghibli film considering that romance is never a primary plot point. Additionally, the other female characters in this film are also just as engaging and powerful as San, and they continually prove themselves to be the ones getting shit done. 

Howl’s Moving Castle

I saved this one for last, because it is my FAVORITE Studio Ghibli movie out there. This movie gets me, man. It’s about a young woman named Sophie who believes that her plain looks and quiet demeanor have her destined for a life of mediocrity as a hat maker, until she accidentally bumps into Howl, a sexy wizard (no, literally, that’s what he’s known for being) who is notorious for eating young women’s hearts. Some weird shit happens that results in Sophie being transformed into an old woman, and she sets off on a quest to find Howl in hopes of undoing the spell she is trapped in. This movie is about loving yourself and the ones around you, and that’s what Sophie slowly learns to do as she grows comfortable in her new form and makes new friends on her adventure. She ultimately realizes that she is beautiful without having to change anything about herself, and that her beauty does not only lie on the surface (hence being an old woman for about 2/3 of the movie) but comes from within. I can’t watch this movie without tears forming in my eyes, no matter how many times I’ve seen it. I identify a lot with Sophie and the insecurity she struggles with, but this movie always gives me faith that I can find happiness within myself the same way that Sophie does.

(Me, watching Howl’s Moving Castle)

I didn’t write this article with the intent of bashing Disney films, because I really do believe that there are a lot of good things that can be said about those movies as well and there is a reason for its worldwide popularity; I’d sing along to any of those movies in a heartbeat. But I think that it is important to experience other works of film from different cultures, because life would be boring without some diversity. As a little girl, being raised by both Studio Ghibli and Disney films has really made me more appreciative of these cultural distinctions. I longed for the fairytale romance that I saw in the likes of The Little Mermaid and Cinderella, but Kiki’s Delivery Service and My Neighbor Totoro reminded me that I’m still young and need to enjoy my independence before I can even think of committing the rest of my life to another person.

Tl;dr: Go watch a Studio Ghibli movie. Anyone can learn something from one of them. 

GIFS belong to Giphy 

Part time author, full time college student, aspiring artist.