This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waseda chapter.

Over the past few days, a deadly outbreak has been growing. Stemming from Wuhan, a city in Hubei province in central China, the coronavirus, has spread to nearly all parts of China as well as Japan, Taiwan, South Korea, Hong Kong, Vietnam, Thailand, Singapore, France, and the United States. The outbreak began in an open-air market selling seafood, poultry, and other animals. After the market has been disinfected, experts find it difficult to track exactly which animal has caused the spread of the virus. Over 1,000 people have been infected in China (as of 10 am JST 1/25)  and the number of sick people, as well as deaths, have been multiplying at a terrifying rate. Currently, it has been confirmed that 41 people have died from the virus at a two-thirds jump just twelve hours prior. 

In the wake of the upcoming Lunar New Year in which millions travel to their homes for the celebration, authorities have imposed a travel lockdown in Wuhan, as well as neighboring cities in order to control the outbreak. Airlines in major cities around Asia, as well as LAX, SFO, and JFK airports in the US have also tightened screenings on passengers arriving from China. Public transportation in nearby cities of Huanggang, Ezhou, Zhijiang, Chibi, and other cities have all been halted. 

As the people of Wuhan have been stranded, hospitals are not able to provide the treatment that the residents need. Many hospitals are understaffed and face massive shortages of beds, masks, and medicine. Many who go to the hospital are not able to receive adequate care due to the influx of patients. The Lunar New Year, the most important holiday celebrated in China, is quiet for many families with family members in the hospital or sick at home. 

While information is scarce on the coronavirus, it is important to keep yourself healthy during the flu season. Remember to wash your hands with soap often and go to the doctor if you have symptoms of the flu. 

Leslie Lee

Waseda '21

Leslie is a junior at Waseda University, studying political science and economics. She grew up in both California and Taiwan, and wants to highlight issues in Japan and Taiwan that are usually overlooked by international media. She is passionate about gender, politics, and the environment. She is currently involved in TedxWasedaU, and volunteers in her free time.