This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waseda chapter.

With the end of April approaching, Spring is in full swing in Tokyo. The cherry blossoms have peaked and the city has been transformed by the bright green of new leaves and fresh plants. Hiking trails and parks are flooded with people and Tokyoites have come out of winter hibernation.

Spring is for many people and cultures a time of change and of new beginnings. The academic year begins at Waseda and for many incoming students, the weather and environment are amongst the many things currently changing.

With all the transformation that seems to characterise this time of year, it strikes me that a playlist would be a way of capturing the many thoughts, ideas and feelings that are brewing. Inspired by the “Friday playlists” curated by RookieMag that my teenage-self used to love, here’s a playlist of old and new songs to accompany the season.

Honey Hi- Fleetwood Mac

A sweet song from Fleetwood Mac, the mellow tune fits the start of a new season. While it does not boast quite the most riveting lyrics, the song suits the warmer weather and migration of new students back to campus.

Keep Yourself Alive- Queen

Sometimes all you need is one of Queen’s first and best anthems. It’s hard to hear the song and not listen to what the band is saying, backed up by killer vocals, guitar and drums.

Start Me Up- The Rolling Stones

Not much needs to be said for this class, the Stones are a solid partner for getting back into the swing of things.

Lifetimes-Oh Wonder

For me Oh Wonder is a band that I almost always come back to each year as the weather begins to warm up. Super relaxed songs that seem to suit the season of open windows, picnics and long walks.

Tightrope- LP

Personally having only discovered LP recently, I’ve found myself listening to her on repeat. Tightrope is one of many exquisite songs. A song that seems to catch the feeling of working towards an undefined goal, you’re not sure where you’re going but “Up high in the middle of nowhere, don’t know, but you’ll know when you get there.”

If Not For You- George Harrison

It’s difficult to listen to this song and not be filled with calm. A classic song with versions by Bob Dylan, Harrison, and even Olivia Newton-John, this is one that can mean a lot of things for a lot of people.

Team- Lorde

As I have found with much of Lorde’s music, Team is a song with lyrics you can listen to fifty times and still think of something new. Without creating any kind of fake hype, or cliché “we’re all in this together” feelings, Lorde still reminds us that we need others on our team and we need to be on others’. Yet, there’s no need to try to fit into a mould or a formula. As she boldly sings, “I’m kind of over getting told to put my hands up in the air, so there.”

Nightbus- Gabrielle Aplin

Gabrielle Aplin’s music and in particular Nightbus serve as great songs to listen to on those days you’re travelling. Sat in the window seat, looking a landscapes passing by, Aplin is a solid soundtrack to the days it’s easy to pretend you’re in a movie scene.

Valium- Hibou

Upon first listening to this I was immediately sceptical that it was another lo-fi chill playlist type of song. Luckily, I was proved wrong, Hibou’s tune is one that doesn’t numb your brain. Easy to listen to, the song accompanies many late night study sessions as university work picks up again.

I Found You- Alabama Shakes

A feel good classic tune. I Found You is the kind of song that you can play at full volume and dance around your room, a song that screams of blue skies and brighter days.

A political Science student on exchange at Waseda. Hails from the UK, loves reading, travel, and hiking.