Wellness > Health

Why Anyone Can Learn to Like Running

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

By: Blair Meyers

We’ve all been through the “I hate running” phase. Maybe it’s because of a mean middle school P.E. teacher, or maybe it’s just simply because it can be really bad at times. I’d like to argue, that anyone can get out of that phase and that it’s worth it to try.

I ran cross country throughout high school and recall so many brutal days. Being from Atlanta, I am experienced in running in the intense summer heat. And trust me, it’s pretty much unbearable. The first few weeks of practice every season I struggled up the hills and had to frequently pause to catch my breath. And, I wasn’t fast by any means.

I would say that it took a little over a month every season for me to relearn how to love running. As the school year got more intense and life just got busy (especially junior and senior year!) I looked at running as more or less a break from all of that. I used the “hard workout” days as a way to really accomplish something and complete something, especially when some school days left me frustrated. I then spent the long runs with friends discussing potential college decisions and recapping the weekend’s events. 

I recognize that things are different in college, but I think I’ve been able to take away a few notes from my high school cross country days and apply them to my life now. I think, first, I had to understand that there’s a period when you’re just not in shape, and that’s that. For that period, running only really feels like a workout and a chore. What I learned, though, is that you have to push through that phase until you can view it as an outlet. 

Once that bad phase is over and you’re somewhat in shape, I think running can provide not only the break from school you’re looking for but also just time to think and reflect. I think this comes from the fact that you’re agreeing to yourself to set aside some time, which can be hard, and during that time you really have nothing else to do but think. Of course, running is a workout, but I think it’s also just a great way to take time for yourself. Anyone can learn to enjoy running because at the end of the day, it doesn’t matter how fast you run, if you run with a group, or if people know that you’re going on a run. Running should be about you. I encourage everyone to push through the hatred phase and appreciate running for its true value: as a freeing outlet from life’s stressors.

Blair Myers

Wake Forest '23

My name is Blair Myers and I'm the President of the Wake Forest chapter. I'm originally from Atlanta, Georgia and I'm majoring in English and minoring in Art History and Psychology. I love contemporary art as well as reading and going for walks with my friends!