Ways to Stay Healthy as the Weather gets Colder

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Washing your hands frequently.

The best way to avoid the spread of germs is through constantly washing your hands. I know the hustle and bustle in between classes can make it hard to find a sink, especially when in the pit the only sinks are extremely out of the way. If you know you don’t have much time to wash your hands before every meal make sure to buy a mini bottle of hands sanitizer. Most companies even make one that you can attach to your bag.

Emergen-C.

Throughout college I have lived on this stuff. I even had my mom ship me another box when I was abroad after running out after the first few weeks. Right when you start to feel sick I drink like 2 of these a day. Their tag line “more fizzy sips more healthy days” shows us how tasty this drink is and why there is no reason to incorporate it into any routine when you begin to catch that common cold.

Zinc pills.

Especially for all you freshman out there who feel that they can’t catch a break with being sick, try taking 15-30 MG of Zinc every day for a few days when you start feeling that onset of a cold. Zinc is found throughout the body natural within the immune system and it specifically works to help the body fight off an “invaders.” Adding a few more mg to your day will only help your body recover faster by fighting off those unwanted bacteria and viruses.

Exercise.

One of the most important things to stay healthy and to avoid getting sick is a healthy amount of exercise. The only time you feel sick is when the sickness goes below your shoulders is when you should opt to not workout. When you work out your immune cells circulate at a higher rate throughout the body, making it better prepared to fight off infections. But even when you are not  feeling great walking on a treadmill or going to a Pure barre class are great options.

Washing your sheets frequently.

I know this is always a hassle and the laundry room is just so far, but the amount of times I got sick per semester after washing my sheets at least once a week dropped significantly. Especially after a weekend of tailgates and hanging out with friends it’s hard to think about how many germs can accumulate on your bed, especially where your head goes.

Madeline Kenney

Wake Forest '20

I am currently a Junior at Wake Forest University majoring in Business and Enterprise Management, with a minor in Psychology. I have a love for traveling, which I why I chose to spend my semester abroad in Vienna, Austria. My other hobbies include Hot Yoga and Pure Barre, and you can always catch me keeping myself up to date with all things skin care at Sephora.
Haley Callicott

Wake Forest '19

Haley is a current senior at Wake Forest University majoring in business and minoring in writing. She is the Editor-in-Chief and Campus Correspondent for HC Wake Forest, a member of Kappa Beta Gamma and an undergraduate advisor for the Student Advisory Board.