This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

As we are all getting ready for the holiday season, there is no better way to get in the spirit than by thinking about giving presents to friends, family members, and your loved ones. Samaritan’s Purse and their Operation Christmas Child annual gift collection initiative makes it possible for people of all ages to give to children who are less fortunate all over the world and make it possible for everyone to participate in the season of giving. This is something that I look forward to every year, and want to share this wonderful Christmas tradition with as many people as possible. 

Samaritan’s Purse is an awesome organization that has tons of projects to help those in need across the world. Here is a brief description of the Samaritan’s Purse organization. “Samaritan’s Purse is a nondenominational evangelical Christian organization providing spiritual and physical aid to hurting people around the world. Since 1970, Samaritan’s Purse has helped meet the needs of people who are victims of war, poverty, natural disasters, disease, and famine with the purpose of sharing God’s love through His Son, Jesus Christ. The organization serves the Church worldwide to promote the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ.”

Every year, Samaritan’s Purse collects shoeboxes from individuals and churches across the nation with items such as stuffed animals, toys, clothes, toothbrushes, and “wow” items, like nicer jewelry or large stuffed animals, and delivers them to children in countries who are not fortunate enough to be able to receive Christmas presents from their families or their friends. In each box, there needs to be a $9 donation for shipping (a tracking label) as well. You can also create a box online in under 5 minutes and have it shipped. There are hundreds of drop off locations for the shoeboxes if you are interested. The national collection week for shoeboxes this year is November 16-23, 2020. Each drop off location has implemented COVID-19 safe protocols, such as curbside drop off and has required that those who are at the drop off sites wear masks.

This year, I will be collecting various items to donate as well as shoe boxes at home. For those of you who are interested, below I have listed the steps below as to how you can pack a shoebox, get a tracking label to see where your box ends up,  where you can drop it off (and have attached the link to a drop-off locator if you are not in the Winston-Salem area), and the dates and hours of a local drop-off site. 

Winston Salem, NC – Pinedale Christian Church

3395 Peters Creek Parkway Winston Salem, NC 27127-6710

Mon, Nov. 16 through Fri, Nov. 20: 9:00 AM – 8:00 PM

Sat, Nov. 21: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM

Sun, Nov. 22: 1:00 PM – 8:00 PM

Mon, Nov. 23: 9:00 AM – 8:00 PM

How to pack a shoebox…

Step 1: Find a shoebox.

Start with an average-size cardboard or plastic shoebox. If you want to wrap it, cover the box and lid separately.

Step 2: Boy or Girl?

Decide whether you will pack a box for a girl or a boy, and the age category: 2–4, 5–9, or 10–14.

Step 3: Fill with Gifts

Select a medium to large “wow” item such as a soccer ball with pump or stuffed animal, then fill with other fun toys, hygiene items, and school supplies.

Step 4: Pray

Most importantly, pray for the child who will receive your gift. You can also include a personal note and photo.

Step 5: Follow Your Box Labels

Donate $9 online and receive a label to Follow Your Box and discover the destination of your shoebox gift.

https://www.samaritanspurse.org/operation-christmas-child/follow-your-box/

Step 6: Drop-off

Take your shoebox gift to a local drop-off location during National Collection Week, Nov. 16–23, 2020. If you are not in the Winston-Salem area, click the link below to find a drop-off location near you.

https://www.samaritanspurse.org/operation-christmas-child/drop-off-locations/

As I mentioned, there’s truly no better way to get into the holiday spirit than by serving others. Spread the word to your friends, family, schools, peers, churches, and anyone/anybody else you can think of to become a part of this project. This is something you can feel good about, something that will bring you joy and help you feel connected to those in need…feelings that we have all been needing to feel more of this past year. Let’s all do our part and spread the wonderful Christmas spirit across the globe this year.

Shayna Smith

Wake Forest '23

Shayna is a current sophomore at Wake Forest University located in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. Shayna is an intended Business and Enterprise Management major with a concentration in Marketing and a Communications minor. In her free time, she enjoys yoga and cooking but is passionate about both writing and interior design. Living close to Washington, D.C has given her an appreciation for the arts, especially music and creative writing. After graduation, I plan on working in the real estate industry.
Taylor Knupp

Wake Forest '21

Taylor is a senior from Harrisburg, PA studying Business and Enterprise Management. She is the outgoing Editor-In-Chief of Her Campus at WFU. Taylor plans to move to New York City after graduation to work as a Business Analyst at Verizon.