This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

It may be an unpopular opinion, but I have never been a fan of the Pit. The options are limited, lines are long, it can be difficult to find a table, and it seems like you always awkwardly encounter the one person you’re trying to avoid. On top of all of that— it feels as though desirable healthy options are few and far between. Some days I end up eating a bagel or cereal for dinner and calling it a night. If you’re like me, and you absolutely dread eating at the Pit, here are some meal ideas to try to hopefully make your pit sits more enjoyable!

1. Turkey Burger Sandwich

This meal is easy and quick to prepare. Grab a turkey burger patty from the grill, then toast two slices of whole wheat bread and add whatever condiments you like! I usually put lettuce, tomato, and mayonnaise on it, but ketchup is also a great option. 

1. Greek Omelette

One of the best things about the Pit is that the omelette bar is open all day. Omelettes are great options because they are filling, delicious, and usually not unhealthy (depending on what goes inside). My favorite omelette to make is a two egg omelette with spinach, tomato, onion, and feta cheese. It’s great for breakfast, lunch, or dinner!

1. Avocado Toast

Occasionally, the grill has avocado with the sides. On these days, I like to make avocado toast by toasting a slice of bread and adding tomato, a little bit of salt and sometimes a fried egg. Pro tip: if you’re really craving avocado spread one day and the Pit doesn’t have it, buy a singular package at Starbucks and bring it with you!

1. Make Your Own Taco

Whenever the True Balance station or the International Grill is serving tacos, please take advantage. I like to get a hard shell taco with chicken, salsa, lettuce, guacamole, cheese, lime, and sometimes a little bit of hot sauce. Another great option with this station is making a taco salad. I use the same ingredients but just add more lettuce and crunch up a taco shell.

1. Chicken Caesar Salad

Sometimes simplicity is key when nothing sounds or looks appealing. I like to mix romaine and kale (if available that day). Then I add parmesan cheese, caesar dressing, sunflower seeds, and sometimes croutons. Lastly, I cut up grilled chicken, toss it all together, and enjoy.

Caitlin Shaw

Wake Forest '22

My name is Caitlin Shaw and I'm a junior at Wake Forest from Cincinnati, Ohio. I love reading, dancing, exercising, and playing with my French bulldogs. I write for Her Campus because I'm passionate about entertaining, inspiring, and lending advice to college girls like me :) I hope you enjoy reading my articles!
Claire Fletcher

Wake Forest '20

Mathematical Business Major at Wake Forest University