This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Trust me, I’m feeling it too. After this past weekend with rumors and anxiety running high on campus, I am feeling exhausted. And, I’m sure many of you are too. After getting a flurry of urgent emails from the school and texts from friends saying that their suitemates or friend might have tested positive for COVID-19, I almost feel like I need to take a four-month-long nap. I’ll wake up, get the vaccine, and be done with this pandemic. However, because this is not at all possible and life still goes on, I thought it might be a good idea to share some tips and tricks that have helped me be sane in this time of chaos. 

Get outside!

Look, it seems like an obvious one, but it helps. I promise. Getting your body moving and being outside can do wonders for you. With the library and so many other study spots on campus being closed, studying in your dorm room, along with doing everything else this is not fun. Studying in the same place that you sleep can even hinder your sleep cycle, and we don’t want that! I don’t know about you, but I went to school in North Carolina for one reason: the weather! (among other factors, but the weather is a HUGE plus). While of course, it is not always nice and sunny here, any chance to be outside is a great one. Studies have also shown that being out and around nature can lower blood pressure and stress levels which is always a good thing. 

Know your boundaries.

In this time of COVID, it is totally okay to be selfish. I’m sure so many of you want to go and hang out with friends and meet new people, but that doesn’t mean you have to put yourself into an uncomfortable or vulnerable position. Talking openly and honestly with the people around you about what you are comfortable with can help take the pressure of COVID anxiety out of your head. This is something that might be hard, but once it is done, both you and your friends are on the same page. 

Treat yo’ self. 

Again, another obvious tip, but sometimes we forget to do that. Personally, I know that my workload this semester feels as though it has almost doubled, which is crazy! I catch myself doing work all day, every day and it seems never-ending. However, moving away from the screen and taking some well-deserved ‘you time’ is always allowed. You can always get creative with your self-care tactics too! I bought myself a super detailed adult paint-by-number, which has taken me forever but also calms me down. My suitemate bought one of those jewel paintings that are all over TikTok, which seem super fun too.

Over course, this is only just a start. Mental health is more than just a warm cup of tea and a face mask. There are so many factors at play, especially right now with so much going on. The Wake Forest Counseling Center is a great resource to utilize on campus, however all counseling sessions are currently only taking place virtually. It’s a place to go if you just want to talk, seek support, or even try something new.

My name is Madeline Tallarico and I am Editor-in-Chief of the Wake Forest University Chapter. I am from Boston, MA and studying Psychology, Neuroscience, and Writing.
Taylor Knupp

Wake Forest '21

Taylor is a senior from Harrisburg, PA studying Business and Enterprise Management. She is the outgoing Editor-In-Chief of Her Campus at WFU. Taylor plans to move to New York City after graduation to work as a Business Analyst at Verizon.