This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

For the girls who are seeking healing and personal growth this semester, I highly recommend engaging with Jay Shetty! Whether you’re listening to his podcast On Purpose or immersing yourself in his award winning book, Think Like a Monk, be prepared to embark on a journey that will transform your life in profound ways. To say that Jay Shetty has completely transformed the way I live my life, carry myself in social settings and manage relationships would be an understatement. His mission to “make wisdom go viral” has truly redefined the self-help genre. There is nothing I enjoy more than putting in my airpods, opening Apple Podcasts and listening to the reassuring words of Jay Shetty on my morning commute. 

On paper, Jay Shetty is a New York Times bestselling author, life coach and host of the number one health and wellness podcast in the world. In actuality, he possesses so much more depth. Jay Shetty spent three years as a monk in a monastery in India during his twenties. He frequently asserts that his time as a monk was the best thing to happen to him. During this time, he meditated four to eight hours a day in extreme conditions, practiced breath control and studied ancient philosophies concerning humility and discipline that still inspire his work. 

Jay Shetty has hosted some of the world’s most decorated figures on his podcast: Oprah Winfrey, Kim Kardashian, Joe Dispenza, Tom Holland and an array of other interesting people. He covers topics such as “people pleasing,” navigating social anxiety and healing from emotional trauma. Jay Shetty’s work has prompted me to see the value in my life and build a sense of self that was lacking before discovering him. 

I think many mental struggles on college campuses stem from students feeling like they are not enough. This narrative is reinforced at academically rigorous universities with demanding social expectations. The problem is particularly prevalent for young women in college as they navigate an environment that can feel emotionally taxing and isolating. Jay Shetty’s content on combating the feeling of inadequacy has prompted me to see the value in my life. 

“Everything that has happened to you up until this point has meaning. Your story matters,” said Jay Shetty on his podcast. While these words can sometimes feel overused in the self-help context, they are delivered beautifully on Jay Shetty’s podcast. “Self worth is about taking inventory of your life and accepting that there is meaning.” Jay Shetty also asserts the importance of choosing not to quantify success. Too often, people equate life’s meaning with arbitrary numbers such as a salary or a GPA. Jay reasons that collecting skills, experiences and people are valid and more meaningful manifestations of success. 

“Everything you want in life is a byproduct of your habits,” said Jay Shetty in an On Purpose episode with Ryan Holiday. Through his work, Jay Shetty asserts that self-discipline is self-love. In order to engage one’s self-discipline, it’s vital to say yes to the things that are most difficult. Ultimately, it’s nearly impossible to make changes in your life without allowing yourself to get a little uncomfortable. 

“Self-love is honoring who you are today and honoring who you want to be tomorrow,” said Roxie Nafousi as a guest speaker on Jay Shetty’s podcast. This is one of my all-time favorite On Purpose quotes. I think these words encapsulate Jay Shetty’s message, which is that life is in the process. It’s a reminder that our journey towards self-improvement, fulfillment and purpose is a continuous and evolving path. Embracing self-love and self-acceptance along the way is the key to unlocking our full potential. 

I think that in today’s society many people, particularly women, are encouraged to succumb to the system. Truthfully, we were never meant to live mundane lives that are ridden of creativity and passion. As the new year approaches, I think it’s time for us to collectively take control of our lives. Jay Shetty’s advice is all about finding the power within ourselves to live out our purposes.

Alexandra Meier

Wake Forest '26

My name is Alexandra Meier and I am sophomore from upstate New York, majoring in Politics and International Affairs.