Wellness

How to Practice World Kindness Day through COVID-19

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

This month, on November 13, is World Kindness Day. In honor of this rather underappreciated national holiday, I wanted to share some thoughts on kindness during these unprecedented times and how acts of kindness, big or small, have changed. 

Like most societal problems, COVID-19 has brought so much awareness to normalizing the struggles of mental health. Quarantining, isolating, the stress of adapting to a pandemic, and the stress of contracting the virus have had an effect on us all. 

So, why not take advantage of this month to not only show kindness but also improve our mental health through kindness. The Mental Health Foundation states that “Studies have found that acts of kindness are linked to increased feelings of wellbeing…This, in turn, can improve our self-esteem. There is some evidence to suggest that when we help others, it can promote changes in the brain that are linked with happiness.” 

How do we show kindness in a world where we can no longer utilize our previous knowledge of how to love, serve, and provide? A smile, a hug, a kiss, a handshake: all ways of showing kindness or affection pre-COVID are now difficult to do with masks and social distancing. While we might have not realized the significance of these little actions, we easily notice their absence during current interactions. 

Whether it be big or small, no gesture is trivial especially given the world’s circumstances. Maybe one shows kindness through holding a door open for one another. Maybe one shows kindness through sending a text to one’s loved ones to check up on their mental health. Volunteering is also a great way to immerse oneself in one’s community and reduce feelings of isolation. Food banks and animal shelters are still actively taking on volunteers. 

Let’s use this month to take on a positive outlook and appreciate our circumstances. 

Some ideas to get started:

• Tell a friend or family member how much you care about them

• Start a remote club, such as a book club

• Find out if you can deliver groceries to someone stuck at home

• Donate to a national or local charity

• Facetime with friends you haven’t spoken to in a while

• Volunteer for a local organization

• Start writing letters to a penpal

• Tutor or mentor a peer

• Foster an animal from a shelter 

• Pick up trash you see around campus

• Tell your professors you appreciate their flexibility

• Say hi to those you pass in your residence hall

• Offer to help a neighbor

Sources:

https://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/campaigns/mental-health-awareness-week/kindness-matters-guide#:~:text=An%20act%20of%20kindness%20can,in%20control%2C%20happiness%20and%20optimism.&text=They%20may%20also%20encourage%20others,to%20a%20more%20positive%20community.

Elise Young

Wake Forest '23

Elise is currently a sophomore at Wake Forest with an intended Communications major. After returning from her freshman year abroad in Copenhagen, Elise joined the Her Campus writing staff this year in hopes of sharing her unique perspective through writing. In her free time Elise plays the piano, paints, develops her film photos, reads Frank O'Hara and eats a lot of chips and salsa.
Taylor Knupp

Wake Forest '21

Taylor is a senior from Harrisburg, PA studying Business and Enterprise Management. She is the outgoing Editor-In-Chief of Her Campus at WFU. Taylor plans to move to New York City after graduation to work as a Business Analyst at Verizon.