This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Unfortunately, due to COVID-19, Wake’s spring break was removed from the calendar this year. It was about a year ago when we all got the news that we were staying home for a couple of weeks (turned into a couple of months). Now, it is more important than ever to give yourself brain breaks and have some fun. Below is some advice for you on how to allow yourself to take a little bit of a break despite having a lot of work. It’s important to prioritize your mental health and give yourself a break so you can feel ready for the rest of the semester. Here are a few ideas I have for you! 

Let yourself sleep in on Saturday – It is so important to get sleep. Sometimes we feel like we need to set alarms and get things done, even on weekends. Allow yourself to sleep an hour later or even take it to the extreme, and don’t set an alarm. It is super nice to be able to sleep in and not worry about getting up at a certain time. 

Go for a hike or walk – Hiking is super relaxing. There are many trails around the area. If you Google “hiking trails near me”, so many will pop up. My favorite walking trail is Salem Lake. I walked the trail on our Tuesday off, and it really allowed me to relax. If you don’t have time or the ability to drive somewhere to hike, go for a long walk on the Reynolda trails. The break will rejuvenate you! 

Try a new restaurant – Winston is one of the best places for restaurants. I have a list of at least 40 restaurants on my phone that I love here. I haven’t even tried all of them, but I continue to add more restaurants to my list each week. Having a good meal, away from campus dining, can be really useful. Maybe dress up and try a different dish! You may even feel like you’re not in Winston. 

Spend a night with your suitemates/friends – If you live with other people, dedicate a night in. Try having a spa night, or watching a basketball game, or having a movie marathon. Maybe you could play games, eat popcorn and stay up late and talk. Try putting the phones away and really dedicate yourself and your time to one another. It will take your mind off your stress. 

Go on a movie/tv show binge – Sometimes we just need to be “unhealthy” and watch hours of TV. On Friday, my suitemates and I decided to go back through most of the Outerbanks and it was such a nice refresher. It was nice to turn my brain off and not have to worry about anything other than if John B was going to find treasure. 

Call your family – For me, calling my family is always a reset. It makes me feel like I’m at home or I’m at least spending time with them again. It gives me a reset and helps me put most things into perspective. If you aren’t close with your family maybe call a close friend that acts as family. It can be a nice brain break and can be very grounding.

Colleen Condon

Wake Forest '23

Hi I am Colleen Condon and I am a sophomore at Wake Forest University! I am majoring in Psychology and Communication with a minor in Entrepreneurship. I am from the suburbs of Chicago and love participating in HerCampus. I am super into sports, playing soccer and basketball in high school and now playing club basketball in college. I am also interested in wellness. As a pescatarian and an avid gym attendee I am always looking for ways to better myself!
Taylor Knupp

Wake Forest '21

Taylor is a senior from Harrisburg, PA studying Business and Enterprise Management. She is the outgoing Editor-In-Chief of Her Campus at WFU. Taylor plans to move to New York City after graduation to work as a Business Analyst at Verizon.