etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Haute & Healthy: Crunch Time, Spring Break Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

After a beautiful and sunny weekend here on campus (let’s forget about the random snowstorm on Wednesday), it’s finally starting to feel like spring – and what better way to celebrate the return of warm weather than with the arrival of Spring Break? By the end of this week, hundreds of Wake’s collegiettes will be beach-bound (or, at the very least, hopefully heading somewhere sunny and above 75º). No matter your destination, keep the following tips in mind before heading off-campus for break.

While the thought of putting on a bathing suit in a matter of days may alarm some of us, it’s important to be realistic – dramatic weight loss in a couple of weeks isn’t really sustainable (or healthy). Instead of aggressively dieting and working out, make small modifications so you’re feeling refreshed and confident, not over-exercised or exhausted.

1. Try weights: weight training and resistance training are extremely effective at toning and “spot-reducing.” By zeroing in on specific areas you want to change and are consistently exercising for, it’s possible to make changes in a matter of weeks.

2. Eat less sodium: No crazy dieting involved – just a small change! By eating fewer sodium-rich foods (think processed foods, ketchup, cheese) your body won’t bloat as easily.

3. Staying hydrated is also drastically important, whether you’re heading home to spend spring break on the couch watching Netflix (no shame!) or going on a trip with friends. Regardless of this one week away from Wake, bathing suit season approaches fast and there’s no time like the present to shake off the winter blues (and pounds).

Water (and its many benefits) in one extremely cute and comprehensive infographic.

For those of you heading home for break, fear not – even though you may expect a dull week this doesn’t have to be the case. Celebrate the end of midterms by treating yourself to a day of shopping (here’s where the “haute” part of the blog comes in). As we’ve been aggressively studying and writing to prepare for those pesky midterms, some of our favorite stores’ spring lines appeared – and what better time to take advantage of these new offerings than during Spring Break? You may not return to Wake with a fresh tan, but I’d argue that a new spring wardrobe comes pretty close.

So whether you’re headed to party in Palm Springs or home to Philadelphia, make the most of your free time by staying healthy (and haute) during the week! 

Hannah Storey

Wake Forest

Cassie Brown

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for Campus Cutie. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Journalism and Communication. Expected graduation in May 2014.