Best Brunch Spots: On and Off Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

“I didn’t choose the brunch life, the brunch life chose me.”

Let’s all be honest, brunch is hard to deny. Collegiettes love it. We don’t know why, it’s just always a good time: sleep-in, meet-up with some friends, and go brunching. Here at Wake, we’re very lucky to live on a campus that provides ample places to brunch — formal and informal — as well as live in a city that is full of unique brunchie-munchies.

I’ve compiled a list of the best brunch spots on and off campus, in no particular order:

Photo by Kate Lair.

Bistro ’34. How lucky are we that we have a fine-dining experience on campus? Bistro ’34 has an upscale feel without having upscale prices you have to worry about… thank you, food dollars! Not to mention it is walking distance from your dorm. The Bistro has many classic brunch dishes that are full of flavor. Brunch is served every Sunday from 11:00 AM until 2:00 PM and is totally worth the visit before it’s time to hit the books, catch-up on laundry, and tackle other Sunday tasks.

Photo from Campusdish.com.

The Pit. You can’t hate on The Pit’s weekend brunch. Eggs, French toast, pancakes and pastries…oh my! With tons of selections, and virtually every breakfast food within a Pit swipe, it can be hard to have a bad experience rolling into The Pit with some friends after a long night. My favorite creation that I’ve made at The Pit so far? Ask the omelet station for just a fried egg and put it on some toast with tomato, a sausage patty, and whatever else you like on a breakfast sandwich. Voilà.

Floor brunch! Ready to switch it up without going off campus on the weekends? Run to the grocery store ahead of time and stock up on eggs, bacon, pancake mix, and other brunch necessities. This is a great way to bond with your hall mates! The floor below me did this one weekend and people were flocking to their lounge with the smell of bacon inviting them. I crashed their lounge and had a great time cooking and brunching with their floor.

Off Campus:

Photo by Kate Lair.

Sweet Potatoes. This brunch spot is bursting with southern charm and hospitality; the menu is full of traditional brunch items with a twist. Seriously, nearly every item has sweet potatoes in it! The sweet potato biscuits are to die for! The ambiance is all things comfort and ease as they pride themselves on down-home cooking. Sweet Potatoes is located in downtown Winston-Salem and totally worth the short drive for a hearty, comforting brunch. Sundays from 10:30 AM to 3:00 PM.

Photo by Kate Lair.

Mozelle’s Fresh Southern Bistro. Mozelle’s is another all-things-Southern brunch spot. Known for their use of only the finest and freshest ingredients, their brunch is sure to be remembered. Located in downtown Winston-Salem, Mozelle’s has a cozy open-air covered patio and outdoor and indoor seating. Sip a cappuccino, listen to some John Mayer, enjoy your company, and delight in the fresh and unique brunch Mozelle’s menu prides itself on. Open for Saturday and Sunday brunch from 11:00 AM to 3:00 PM.

Photo from Creativekitchen.com.

The Old 4th Street Filling Station. 4th Street is charming and unique with a large, gorgeous outdoor patio and a cozy fireplace inside. The menu offers an array of Benedicts, omelets and some unique favorites such as Signature Carolina Shrimp & Grits and a Monte Cristo breakfast sandwich. The Monte Cristo is to die for. The Old 4th Street Filling station is located in downtown Winston-Salem and open for Sunday brunch from 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM. 

Photo by Kate Lair.

Village Tavern. It’s a Wake student staple for a reason. It’s hard to deny a yummy brunch that is only a short walk from campus. The Village Tavern’s brunch is full of American classics and Southern breakfast staples, such as shrimp and grits (highly suggested, see above) and warm seasonal pumpkin muffins to start. The Tavern Cappuccino with nutmeg and mocha is a different and fun coffee drink to try. Open for brunch on Sundays from 11:00 AM to 3:00 PM.

Kate Lair

Wake Forest

New writer at Her Campus for the Wake Forest chapter
Lauren Friezo

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for News and Content Uploader. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Entrepreneurship and Social Enterprise and Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies. Expected graduation in May 2015.