free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Advice Blog: Internship Intel

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Did your dream company say you would hear back from them in two or so weeks and it is now going on three and a half? Or maybe they just emailed you your start date and you are thinking what I should do now?!

Keep reading collegiettes, because I have the fix for both of these intern incidents!

Hurry Up and Wait

Haven’t heard back yet? Don’t panic. Breathe. Remember that companies are extremely busy all the time and finalizing an internship program may often be the last task of the day or month. The best thing you can do is stay busy. Distract yourself by focusing on your school work and finishing out the year strong academically. If two more weeks pass after the estimated time they said you would be contacted, there is no harm in emailing your point of contact asking about the status of your application. This shows that you are still interested and can even help to put you back on their radar or at the top of their to-do list.

If it has not even been a week since you interviewed, take time to handwrite and send a thank you note to your interviewer. This should be a no-brainer and will always make you stand out as a professional candidate ready and excited to receive the position when the time comes.

If you are still very anxious and worried you may not snag the position, organize your back up plans. It is always a smart idea to apply to more than one internship; keep an eye on application deadlines. If all deadlines have passed, start networking. Describe your interests to your neighbor with the really cool company and see if he or she can get you in the door.

*Phone Rings* “We’d love to have you on our team!” *Collegiette jumps for joy*

You did it! Time to prep; take the time to think of questions you may have to email them later. Keep an eye on your email for the processing papers they will send to make it official. Don’t forget to call your Mom, Dad, friends, and Grandparents to tell them the good news! Also email any networks you have that may have helped you obtain the position. If not, it is always good to keep your career contacts in the know with your accomplishments in case they can help you out later in life, like getting you that next best internship or job next year.

Also, start to plan your summer plans around your internship start date. For example, if your internship starts June 1, you have a good part of May to plan trips with friends, family, or even apply for a second job waitressing for example, if your internship will allow you to stay home and you are looking to make a little extra money.

No matter what happens collegiettes, be proud of yourself for applying and taking that step to make your career goals a reality! 

Go Deacs! :)
Cassie Brown

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for Campus Cutie. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Journalism and Communication. Expected graduation in May 2014.