This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

It’s that time of the semester again: midterms. Whether you are trapped in your dorm, apartment, or the library trying to make it through exam week, something about online exams makes studying that much worse. Or is that just me? I have found that while cramming, the only thing keeping me in a (semi) good mood is having some good music playing in my ears! 

As someone who LOVES finding new and unique music, I have put together my nine favorite songs to (hopefully) get you out of the midterm study slump! And for you fellow Spotify users, I have all of the songs’ Spotify Codes below!

Photo Collage of the songs I use throughout my article.
Photos from Spotify / Design by Jenna Hawke via Canva

1. “Wonder” by Shawn Mendes

Simply put, this song rocks.  It’s a dynamic and beating-heart ballad-anthem that you just want to blast and scream sing in the shower. Plus, just hearing Shawn Mendes’s angelic voice belt out the chorus is enough to put you in an awesome mood.

2. “Forest Whitaker” by Bad Books, Manchester Orchestra, & Kevin Devine

When I first came across this song, I probably listened to it on loop for two weeks straight. It still isn’t old. The indie-rock sound, unique voice of the singer, and anecdotal lyrics all combine to make an upbeat, mood-boosting song.

3. “Roadkill” by The 1975

The 1975 is my all-time favorite band, and they have been since around freshman year of high school (which in hindsight is a very long time ago… yikes). Singer Matty Healy has such a unique voice, and the song has a bright and airy sound with almost humorous lyrics.   

4. “1980s Horror Film II” by Wallows

I love songs that tell a story. This story, paired with the super distinct ‘80s sound, makes me feel like I am in an episode of The Carrie Diaries. Break out the neon earrings and leg warmers! 

5. “Punks and Poets” by Elliot Root

This is one of those windows-down-on-a-perfectly-sunny-day kinds of songs. It is smooth and peaceful, while also being dynamic and bold. It is the perfect combination of calming down and dancing around your room. 

6. “Cowboy in LA” by LANY

LANY recently came out with a new album, and can’t stop listening to it. They just have a way of making the calmest, yet most meaningful songs. This song, though, has just the right amount of tugging at your heartstrings. Why can’t all boys be like a cowboy in LA? 

7. “Trouble” by Cage the Elephant

This song includes soft harmonies that are characteristic of Cage the Elephant songs. It’s soothing, breezy melodies give it a very dream-folk feel that I have found is unique to Cage the Elephant. I mean, the title itself is very fitting for midterms… 

8. “Cherry” by Harry Styles

Some may say that the hype surrounding Harry Styles’ second album has passed. I definitely disagree. I love this song in all of its soothing guitar-string and heartbreaking lyric glory.  

9. “Romeo & Juliet” by Peter McPoland

Okay, here’s the thing…  if there is one song that you take away from this list of nine, it is this one. I seriously cannot get enough of this song (and I think my roommates are sick of hearing me sing it all day). I wish I could say that I came across a song and artist this incredible all by myself, but I must give credit to my best friend.  Nikki, if you’re reading this… thank you, thank you, thank you! Peter McPoland has such a unique and beautiful voice. While he only has a few songs on Spotify, he has a YouTube channel where he covers a lot of songs (including #8 on this list, which is just beyond belief). I think that he is so talented. His songs have an American-folk sound to them, but aside from this, I don’t know how to describe his sound other than that it is truly something special. I have never heard an artist like him and cannot stress this enough: listen to this song. Safe to say, I am definitely obsessed.       

Jenna Hawke

Wake Forest '22

I am a junior at Wake Forest majoring in psychology with a double minor in politics and Chinese. I am from New Jersey, and living so close to New York City has given me a lifelong appreciation for arts & culture, especially music! I have always loved to write and plan to attend law school after graduation.
Taylor Knupp

Wake Forest '21

Taylor is a senior from Harrisburg, PA studying Business and Enterprise Management. She is the outgoing Editor-In-Chief of Her Campus at WFU. Taylor plans to move to New York City after graduation to work as a Business Analyst at Verizon.