This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.
Frontier

Frontier is a Canadian historical drama starring everyone’s favorite, Jason Momoa. Momoa plays an outlaw fur trapper, leading a resistance against the Hudson Bay Trading Company in the 1700s. The show involves lots of dramatic fight scenes, elaborate plans, and interesting side stories. It also features a multitude of characters with interesting backstories and motives. If you like shows such as Vikings or Outlander (or if you just like Jason Momoa), this drama might be a good series for you to indulge in!

3 seasons available on Netflix

North and South

Based on the North and South book trilogy by John Jakes, this miniseries follows two young men who become best friends despite being from different walks of life and ideals. Set in the years before, during, and after the Civil War, the show explores the implications of sectionalism in the US as well as how people can find friendship amid polarizing issues such as slavery. The show features stars in their youth, such as Patrick Swayze (the main character) and Forest Whittaker, as well as historical figures portrayed in ways not typically seen. Unfortunately, the complete series is only available in DVD or VHS form, so that is one set back. But, if you have anything that can play a DVD, you can enjoy it!

Complete miniseries collection available on Amazon

Murdoch Mysteries

Murdoch Mysteries is based on a book series of the same name. The show follows a young detective in Canada in the 1890s. The show is similar to every crime show, yet it is different because it follows the innovations of investigating and pioneering new techniques to catch the bad guy! In addition to having a strong female coroner, the show is a fun and refreshing break from modern crime shows. The historical elements are also impeccable and would be delightful for anyone interested in history!

13 seasons available on Hulu

When Calls the Heart

This Canadian series can best be described as a wholesome Hallmark history show. Similar to other historically-based shows, it is based on a book! It follows a brilliant school teacher who is new to a tiny mining town. It follows the evolution of her standing within the town as well as those of the townspeople and the town itself. With various storylines and handsome love interests for the main character, it is the epitome of a show that has the best of all things, from drama to suspense and life lessons. I would definitely recommend it for a more light-hearted binge-watching session!

7 seasons available on Netflix

Downton Abbey

Downton Abbey is a show that follows the Crawley family and their maids and butlers. Alongside tons of side stories and a plethora of characters, the main story focuses on the Crawley family’s lack of a male heir to take the title of Lord and all of the benefits of it. As the show progresses, historical events take place, such as the entrance of Britain into WWI. Not only do you get a taste of the elite lifestyle from the Crawley family, but you get a deep understanding of the lives, duties, and plights of the people who serve them. This series is perfect for those who are interested in the inner workings of the social elite in history!

6 seasons available on Prime Video

These are just a handful of my favorite historical dramas that I have watched and enjoyed. I hope you love them too! Happy watching!

Basia Scott

Wake Forest '24

Basia Scott is a sophomore from Greer, South Carolina, majoring in Anthropology and minoring in Politics and International Affairs. Alongside acting as a Her Campus editor, she serves as the PR chair for Woof Forest (a charity-based student organization benefitting the Forsyth Humane Society).
Taylor Knupp

Wake Forest '21

Taylor is a senior from Harrisburg, PA studying Business and Enterprise Management. She is the outgoing Editor-In-Chief of Her Campus at WFU. Taylor plans to move to New York City after graduation to work as a Business Analyst at Verizon.