Spring Flowers Pink Summer Warm Weather Season Color Bloom Beautiful Trees Flowers Life Happy Bright Fun Outside Outdoors Calm
Jackie Ryan / Her Campus

What To Do In Blacksburg This April

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

As the spring semester is quickly coming to a close, the last full month of the semester is jam-packed with fun events to go to. Whether you’re taking a study break or need some exciting motivation to get through the last month of classes, here are several events to check out in Blacksburg this April.

Athletic games

While basketball season has come to a close, there are still plenty of games to see on campus this spring. Baseball, softball, lacrosse and golf are just some of the sports that are in full swing. For a full schedule or to buy baseball tickets check out the Virginia Tech Athletics website.

comm week

The School of Communication hosts their annual Comm Week every spring as a week of professional development and networking. This year Comm Week will be held on April 10-14. Throughout the week there will be a variety of events and workshops to attend. VT’s student-run organization PRSSA will host an event with the Roanoke-based agency Eddy Alexander on Wednesday, April 12. Stayed tuned for more information on this event through PRSSA’s Instagram @vt_prssa or on the School of Communication’s website.

Take back the night rally and march

On April 13 at 7 p.m., the United Feminist Movement at VT will host a rally and march in protest of gender-based sexual violence in the community. The event will be held on the Henderson Lawn with a rain location in the GLC. The event is inclusive and welcoming to everyone with the goal of having a community free of violence.

Glossolalia’s literary festival

VT’s student-run literary organization Glossolalia is having their annual Literary Festival on April 14 from 1:30-5 p.m. They will have student readers, published authors, and prizes throughout the festival. More information can be found on their Instagram.

3.2 mile run in REMEMBRANCE

In the early morning of Saturday, April 15, RecSports is hosting a 3.2-mile Remembrance Run to honor the 32 lives lost in the tragic shooting that occurred in 2007. The race course will begin with a moment of silence and then loop around the Blacksburg campus, finishing at the April 16 Memorial. You can sign up through RecSports here.

Spring game and Family Weekend

On April 15 at 3 p.m., Lane Stadium will be back in action with the Spring Football Game. With Family Weekend happening from the 14-16, it’s the perfect time to take your parents and family members out and show them the true Hokie Spirit.

vintage market

From April to November, the Blacksburg Farmers Market hosts a vintage market every second Sunday with the April 16 market kicking off the season. From 10 a.m.-5 p.m., there will be a variety of vendors selling vintage goods, crafts and antiques.

Blacksburg fork and cork

Blacksburg Fork and Cork is an annual food and wine festival that benefits The Blacksburg Partnership. The event is on April 22 and will be held at Historic Smithfield, adjacent to Tech’s campus. There will be food, wine, music and various vendors. Tickets can be bought here.

International street fair

Virginia Tech’s 62nd International Street Fair will happen on April 23 from 12-6 p.m. on Alumni Mall. There will be various cultural performances, traditional games, arts and crafts, and several food trucks at the event all celebrating the international and cultural student organizations on campus.

This isn’t an exhaustive list, but Blacksburg and Virginia Tech have tons of events this month. So go out and celebrate your community by attending one or many of these events.

Sylvia Mack

Virginia Tech '24

Sylvia is a senior at Virginia Tech studying Communication with a double minor in Sociology and Event and Experience Management.