What I Wish I Could Have Told Myself at the Start of Freshman Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

My freshman year of college was nothing like I expected and thank goodness for that. This year has brought me unexpected opportunities, friends I can’t wait to share more adventures with and many lessons learned. For the incoming freshman, here is everything I wish I could have told myself at the start of my freshman year.

1. You’ll gain the freshman 15 … but that’s okay

Chick-fil-a is like 25 steps away from your room and you can grab dessert whenever you want. The freshman 15 is something everyone jokes about and frets over, but you never thought it would actually happen to you though. It did. You survived. With the freshman 15 came late-night milkshakes, sunset pics on the Drillfield, a new interest in yoga, amazing friends and a greater self-appreciation. Try as hard as you can, it’s rough making healthy decisions everyday when you’re away from home in a new environment and trying to juggle classes.

2. Everything happens for a reason

Remember this when you don’t get an invitation to join that organization or when that boy doesn’t feel the same way about you. This year, as soon as one door closes another, better door opens. Keep your head up and don’t let it get you down.

3. Attend the lectures and events on campus

There are so many events happening on campus all the time, even though you are stressed with classes and organizations, try to make time to attend some. Guest lecturers and professors from all departments give fascinating talks and it’s free. You are only guaranteed to have access to this once in your life, take advantage of it! Also, shamelessly go to booths in the student center or around campus and take the free cups, pens and shirts!

4. You’ll miss an 8 a.m. and pull at least one all-nighter

In high school you were always on top of your work, but college is nothing like high school. Deadlines come out of nowhere, it’s way easier to put things off when you aren’t at home and some days you just accidentally fall back asleep. Once you stay up til morning one time, you do everything possible to never repeat it.

5. Enjoy every moment

Freshman year goes by so fast, one minute you’re jumping to Enter Sandman at the first home game of the season and the next you are packing up your dorm for summer. Write it all down and absorb it all, even the days that blur together.

Image Sources: GIFs from Giphy.com

Jessica Mardian

Virginia Tech '21

Jessica is a senior at Virginia Tech, double majoring in Creative Writing and Multimedia Journalism. 
Proud to be Virginia Tech's Her Campus chapter!