This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

We’ve all been there. We offer to pick up an extra shift, to work on extra credit, or to help someone else out despite our busy schedule. I’ve done it, my friends have done it, and I know there are hundreds of others who’ve done it too. Recently, I’ve been picking up extra work wherever I can get it because it feels natural to do work all the time, but it’s not healthy to spread yourself so thin.

One of the biggest consequences of overworking yourself is burnout. Burnout is typically a physical or emotional state of exhaustion that involves a sense of reduced accomplishment and a loss of personal identity. Most people think of burnout as a work-related problem; however, it can be related to school or other activities in which you overextend yourself. I have been overwhelmed and overextending myself as a way to cope with changes in my life — particularly changes in how I view my relationship with myself and others — and changes in how I’m figuring out my future. Luckily, if you’re part of the 71% of college students experiencing burnout, there are ways to cope with burnout.

Identify the source

It’s important to realize what is causing burnout. Are you putting too much stress on a particular class? Have you promised to pick up more shifts than you can handle at work? Have you been prioritizing the wrong projects? Sometimes, the problem can seem to be hidden amongst the chaos, so you must take time to understand where you are spreading yourself too thin.

Think about your options

Once you’ve figured out where the source lies, it’s time to figure out how to manage your time. If it’s your job, think about reducing the number of hours you work in a week. If it’s school, talk to your advisor about taking fewer credits or find school resources on time management. If it’s extracurricular activities, decide which ones are truly enjoyable and which ones feel like a waste of time. By looking over your options, you have a better way of lessening burnout.

Establish healthy habits that work for you

Healthy habits can be absolutely anything. These habits have to place you in a better emotional and mental state rather than taking away from you. A few options include exercise, mindfulness, journaling, socializing and meditating — even sleep can lead to great changes in how you’re feeling. The biggest part of this is finding a practice that works for you.

Find, grow and maintain support systems

Friends and family are great first places to look for support. They can offer a shoulder to cry on, advice and a safe place to relax. However, if you find yourself unable to create a supportive environment there, a therapist can provide professional help and tactics in managing your burnout. Therapists also offer opportunities in exploring any other mental obstacles that could be affecting your burnout.

Understand that this won’t last forever

Finally, this won’t last forever. Finding yourself in the middle of burnout can feel like the end of the world. You feel fatigued, anxious and hopeless, and you feel nothing can make you feel better when all you can think about is everything else you have to do. Thankfully, by taking time for yourself, the feelings of burnout can subside and you can begin to feel better.

Burnout is something that we can’t avoid. It’s everywhere — work, school and extracurricular activities. However, you can find ways to manage the feelings and symptoms of burnout. By understanding what burnout is and creating a plan to avoid future burnout, you can better cope in situations that feel like the end of the world.

Madi Armstrong

Virginia Tech '23

Madi Armstrong is a senior studying multimedia journalism with minors in Spanish and creative writing. Through writing, she hopes to empower those around her to advocate for what they believe in and to use their experiences in ways to help others. Proud to be part of Her Campus, she hopes to leave a lasting impact and create an environment where everyone feels welcome.