This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Every girl loves a good fairy tale and every girl has that one princess or character who she will admire for the rest of her life. Some fictional women are great role models for girls everywhere to follow, but these characters are rare and deserve recognition. Here are a few of the best fictional female role models:             

Mulan

Let’s get down to business, Mulan is one of the most fierce Disney Princesses ever made and many songs from the movie soundtrack have made their way onto my study playlist. Mulan lives in a time where women are not allowed to fight in war, secretly takes her father’s place in the draft to save him from a certain death in his old age. So, not only does she bravely risk her life to save her father’s, but she also enters a dangerous situation where she could face serious repercussions for impersonating her father and fighting as an undercover female. Mulan’s dedication to her family isn’t surprising, but what makes her a standout princess is the fact that as a young woman she displays a dedication to her country as well as perseverance and gained skill in her training. Something worthy of noting is that many women have lived a similar story to Mulan’s. There are women throughout history who have fought in wars under the disguise of men. These are women who set an example of perseverance, bravery and passion for girls everywhere.  

Belle

Belle is more interested in education than the most attractive man in town. Though pursued by the sought after Gaston, she denies him mostly due to his complete lack of respect for the women in town. Belle takes notice to Gaston’s disrespectful and condescending attitude toward women, including herself, and chooses not to reward him with her love. Noticing the mistreatment of others is important, and so is recognizing when you are not being respected. When the guy who every girl wants chooses you out of everyone, would you have the strength to turn him down? What if you lived in a culture where not marrying was looked down on? Within the given context, Belle actually displays a high value and prioritization of self-respect and self-accomplishment over a safe life dependent on a husband.

Princess Mia and Queen Clarise

Princess Mia is hands down one of the chillest and most relatable girls to ever wear a crown. That being said, her grandmother is also high on that list. Queen Renaldi never remarried following her husband’s death and displayed the compassionate and regal characteristics of a ruling power all on her own. She served as a role model for Princess Mia and taught her the basic principles of a good leader and strong woman. Princess Mia followed after her grandmother and acted as a role model to viewers of all ages. Despite being awkward and relatable, Princess Mia also overcame typical teenage obstacles and cruel boys with a newfound confidence and self-respect gained under her grandmother’s teaching. Mia was forced into an arranged marriage in order to legally rule as queen. However, she noted that her grandmother was able to be an admirable leader despite ruling alone and decided to challenge and change the law that required her to marry before she could rule the kingdom. This sets an incredible example for girls to follow when it comes to leadership and independence.

Hermione Granger

Hermione shows every girl how to speak her mind and be confident in her academic abilities. Students can often grow afraid to raise their hand for fear of asking a dumb question or being wrong, but Hermione does not shy away from asking questions or speaking her mind. Her courage to ask questions is what makes her capable of learning so much.

Merida

Merida refuses an arranged marriage and also refuses to hide her wild curly hair when asked by her mother. She embraces a unique physical characteristic, especially when told to hide it. How many girls straighten their curly hair? Merida is told that shooting with her bow and arrow is unladylike but she outshoots the men competing for her hand in marriage. She challenges the tradition of marrying and insists on controlling her own destiny. This is a powerful message for girls to follow their own dreams despite expectations.

Casey

Casey sets the bar high for girls by applying her brain and passion for academics to the sport she loves. This is something anyone can do, but few girls are encouraged to pursue science and math and use that knowledge to improve their athletic abilities. This shows that girls can be passionate in a sport like figure skating and still be passionate about academics. Having knowledge about the physics behind each skating move makes Casey a stronger and more talented athlete. She manages to juggle a lot but most importantly puts passion and everything she has into her school project, which shows a model student.

Nancy Drew

Nancy is brave, curious and will do anything to get to the bottom of an unsolved crime to keep others safe. Observation is a vital technique to survey an area and Nancy shows girls how awareness in a dangerous situation is used to keep oneself safe. She is also outspoken and steps up into a leadership role when faced with stress and danger. Her character first arose in literature at a time when women were not exactly expected to use their brains to save the day.

Katniss Everdeen

Katniss is an extremely skilled fighter who provides for her family when the man of the house passes away. She selflessly volunteers to put her life on the line in place of her little sister. She challenges an unjust government and is the face of a revolution. Her ability to protect herself paired with her compassion for others makes her admirable to many, and shows readers that one can be compassionate but still strong and independent.

There are many female characters in novels and movies, but some stand out more than others. Women known for passion, drive, bravery and independence are becoming more and more celebrated and so are characters with those traits. Filmmakers and writers are listening to the audience and providing more powerful female protagonists that give girls someone to follow. They all challenge a stereotype or an unjust system and use their brains to save the day. Take extra note of these characters next time you see them and maybe consider why you like them so much.  

Image Sources:

cover/1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9

A mechanical engineering sorority girl who will sprint across the drill field just to pet a dog.
Proud to be Virginia Tech's Her Campus chapter!