This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

As I’m sure we all already know, college is tough enough as it is. Add a global pandemic and the struggles of college become amplified. Whether it’s for getting school work done, trying to land a dream job or internship, or simply trying to stay in touch with friends and family I’m sure we’re all sick of the amount of time we’ve spent on zoom. This is why I wanted to share the best tips I’ve found for battling Zoom fatigue (because it is real)!

1. Go on a phone cleanse

After a long day of classes, meetings, homework, and assignments I know just how tempting scrolling through TikTok can look, but giving yourself a break from technology can be much needed! Take it from me, who spent 32 hours a week on TikTok last semester, and just delete the app for a little bit. All the videos will still be there when you get back, I promise you aren’t missing anything! Give your eyes a much-needed break from blue light after a long day on a laptop or computer. Give yourself one hour or so after a class ends to sit without looking at a screen. I swear this one has done me and my skin wonders!

2. Indulge in self-care

What I love about self-care is that it is extremely customizable. If you don’t like a certain activity there are a plethora of other options you can choose from. Personally, I love to listen to music and drink some tea. If I have a decent chunk of time I love to paint my nails as well. Self-care really is up to you and your tastes. I will say that Target has a great (and cheap) collection of sheet masks and nail polish if you want to try out some new ones!

3. Reconnect with friends

Another great way to destress after a long day on Zoom is to talk to some friends. By talking, I mean actually dial their phone number and give them a call. My friends and I have started randomly calling after classes are done and these are some of the highlights of my week. It’s a different kind of feeling when someone calls you out of the blue because they were thinking about you rather than just receiving a text. I have also tried this tip on my parents and they seem to love the random calls, so if you want to make your mom proud I highly recommend this tip!

4. Go outside

After the cold winter and snow that we have faced this year, go outside and get some vitamin D. If you are in the Blacksburg area I highly recommend hitting up the Duck Pond. There are benches located around the pond along with paths that you can follow all the way around. Getting outside and getting your blood flowing in the nice weather is a great way to round out a long day of classes. Furthermore, when the rain finally stops I can’t wait to get outside with my pod to play games such as spikeball, soccer, ultimate frisbee, and cornhole. Frisbees, balls, and the like are available super cheap at your local Walmart, Target, and even on Amazon. 

5. Origami

Another great way I’ve been able to destress is to do some origami. This is something that I started doing with my long-distance boyfriend as a little date night activity and it is seriously so fun. We bought origami paper for about $5 on Amazon and we take turns picking what we want to make each time. You can go as easy or as hard as you want and you can involve as many of your friends as you please!

6. Do a coloring sheet

As an RA on campus, I am constantly having to organize events for my residents. Something that is always a hit is coloring sheets. I find free printables online and have them available outside my door for my kids to pick up as they pass. I’ve recently been really into the intricately patterned ones because it’s such a mindless activity to destress with. I especially love having a lo-fi playlist playing in the background for a little bit of extra added ~zen~.

7. Take a nap

This one seems a little bit self-explanatory, but sometimes the reminder is needed! After a long day of class, my mind always ends up going 100 miles a minute trying to figure out what I still have left to do. Giving my brain some rest after a long day has done me wonders. I look forward to my twenty-minute power nap every day. Sometimes that power nap ends up turning into a three-hour nap, but hey we are going to school in a pandemic and we need to give our bodies some rest. Listen to your body and what it needs, there’s no shame here!

8. Highlight of the day

At the end of each day, something that I’ve started doing the past couple of months is writing down the highlight of my day. If it’s something big or something small doesn’t matter, just something that you can look back on and smile at. You can write them down in your phone notes app or on a piece of paper/sticky note, it’s all up to you! When I’ve had a bad day, going back and reading my highlights always has a way of helping me out of my lows. It helps me put my life back into perspective and it helps remind me that I am human— we are living through a pandemic after all!

We were not given a manual on how to live through a pandemic and attend college online with Zoom. It’s only human that we feel fatigued and need a break at the end of each day. It is so important to listen to your body and its needs. Take care of yourself first, it’s nothing to feel sorry about. Your body is getting you through this pandemic, so treat yourself girlie! I hope these tips help bring you some peace during a time where there isn’t an abundance. Just know that you are human, things will work out, and that you are strong. Now, let’s get this day started and kick some butt!

Ashley Son

Virginia Tech '21

A little bit about me: a senior at Virginia Tech studying Business Information Technology who enjoys watching sunsets, driving with the windows down, having the best laughs with friends, and writing for Her Campus :)
Proud to be Virginia Tech's Her Campus chapter!