This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

I’ve always been scared of change. If things could stay the same forever, that would be just fine with me. But that’s not how life works; the whole point of life is that we grow up and move on. I couldn’t make things stay the same even if I wanted them to. And if I really think about it, why would I want that? I remember being 18 years old when I first started school at Virginia Tech. So much has changed since then — some good, some bad — but I wouldn’t change any of it. There’s that word again: change.

It’s bittersweet, though. You look back at the life you once had four years ago and the memories that happened along the way, and you can’t help but feel nostalgic. All the long walks across the Drillfield, all the professors I loved, and, of course, all the Her Campus memories. These memories made me who I am today. When I look back, I don’t remember feeling scared about how my life would change in college. I don’t remember being scared to live on my own, to manage money or decide which major to pick. But now, as I prepare for the next steps after college, I’m terrified. Moving to a new city, making new friends, finding a job — that’s scary stuff. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t scared.

But that’s life. Change is how we become the people we want to be, how we chase our dreams and how we truly live. Even though I’m scared to take that leap of faith, I’m also excited to see what lies ahead for me after I walk across that graduation stage next week. I’m excited to see who I’ll become, and maybe in another four years I’ll look back at this moment and only feel nostalgia.

DVF\'s Own It: The Secret to Life book
Phaidon

To my fellow Her Campus ladies, thank you for the best four years I could’ve asked for. Thank you for allowing me to be your campus correspondent, and thank you for being the best team of supportive, loving women. It has truly been what has made my college experience worthwhile.

To my professors, thank you for pushing me to find what I truly enjoy doing. Who would’ve thought that I’d end up double-majoring in multimedia journalism and Spanish after coming in freshman year in neuroscience? Crazy.

To my family, thank you for supporting me. Dad, thank you for everything your life gave me in college and for always looking out for me. I’ll wear your picture under my graduation cap just like I did in high school.

To my cats, thanks for putting up with me through all the stress and breakdowns.

To my past self, thank you for fighting to get here. It hasn’t been easy, but we did it.

So here’s to change. Goodbye, Virginia Tech.

Ally Ford

Virginia Tech '22

About me: a senior at Virginia Tech pursuing a dual degree in multimedia journalism and Spanish with a minor in professional and technical writing who enjoys driving with no destination, watching sunsets on the beach, mint chocolate chip ice cream and writing for Her Campus.