This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Starting the new year is something that helps motivate almost everyone with setting goals. Whether it’s wanting to eat healthier or to procrastinate less, the new year gives us the opportunity to grow. No matter how big or small a goal can be, they are put into place to help us grow into a better self. While setting goals is the easy part, it can be hard to maintain them throughout the year. This is a struggle I have dealt with in previous years but wanted to make a big difference this year and not revert back to old habits. 

To make sure I’m sticking with what I want to accomplish in 2021, I decided to make a bullet journal to keep up with my journey. A bullet journal is a notebook you can use digitally or create on your own to help you stay organized and keep track of your goals. While creating your own can take a while, I found it to be therapeutic and fun. It’s a great option for those who have a creative side. So far, this tracking system has been working and makes me feel accomplished. While 2021 has just started, I feel like I’m already making progress. For examples and inspiration, Pinterest is a great resource for all different types of bullet journals. 

bullet journal
Estée Janssens

Another way to help you stick with your goal is to set rewards for yourself. Whether your resolution is to lose 50 pounds or to make your bed every day, nothing is too big or too small to have rewards for. Also, this is something that you can use to help plan your goals. With big goals that can take time, it can be hard to accomplish that goal by a set date without having a plan to get there. Having a reward system can help you stay motivated while also helping you plan ahead. 

Mac laptop with a You Got This sign
Photo by Emma Matthews Digital Content Production on Unsplash

While keeping a long-term goal can be difficult to maintain, by having a plan and keeping your progress can make the lifestyle change easier to maintain. It’s also important to remember that you don’t have to wait until the new year to set goals for yourself. Don’t be afraid to set goals for yourself in the middle of the year — it’s never too late to make a lifestyle change that will help you grow and better yourself. Never lose focus of your journey because you will be at the end goal one day. 

The most important thing to remember is to not be too hard on yourself and you’ve got this!

Kate Renz

Virginia Tech '22

Public relations major minoring in cinema. In my free time, I love to spend time with friends and watch movies!
Camden Carpenter

Virginia Tech '21

Senior studying Smart and Sustainable Cities, with hopes to become a traveling urban developer. Attemping to embody "Carpe Diem" in her everyday life, both physically by getting a tattoo of the quote, and mentally by taking risks while trying to maximize each day's full potential.