An Open Letter to the Girl Feeling Lost in College Right Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

To the girl feeling lost in college,

Since I was young, I have always been told that college is supposed to be the best four years of my life. I was told I was going to make so many lifelong friends, have so many amazing experiences and that I would never want my time here to end.

While to an extent, some of this is true, for a lot of people this is not reality. Let’s be real here, college is hard, college is extremely stressful, and college is an absolute challenge for everyone. While some people do find amazing friends and have amazing experiences in college, some people don’t, and it has taken me years to realize that that’s okay.

I know what it’s like to look around and feel like everyone is thriving but you. I know what it’s like to feel lost, to feel like you are stuck in this cycle with absolutely no way out. Whether you feel alone and like you have no true friends, or lost and confused in your college career, just know that your feelings and experiences are valid, and that you are not alone on this journey.

It’s okay to feel sad. It’s okay to feel nervous, and scared, and lonely, and stressed to the point of tears. For a lot of us, this is our very first time living on our own. We are figuring it out slowly, but we will get there. I wish I was told in high school that all of these feelings are normal to have in college. I think that society makes out college in America to be this fantasy place where you feel nothing but pure, genuine happiness all of the time, and that is completely not true.

Everyone’s college experience is different. If you are one of the people who feels left out because you like to stay in every weekend, know that it’s normal. If you feel homesick, know that it’s normal. If you aren’t happy with where you are and want to transfer or switch majors, know that it’s normal. Every college experience is a normal experience. Never forget that.

It’s so easy to scroll through social media or walk around campus, and assume that all of these smiling faces are living a life so much better to the one you are living. Chances are, there is so much more going on behind the scenes.

If you are feeling lost in college right now, please don’t be so hard on yourself. There is no such thing as the best four years of your life. Your college experience is not what society tells you it should be. Your college experience is yours, whatever that looks like for you.

I know what you are going through right now seems like it will never change, but I promise you, it gets better. Take a deep breath and do your best to change the things that you can. But know that some things you can’t change – and that’s completely okay too.

Feeling lost in college is normal, I promise. Your future is going to be so bright.

Sincerely,

A girl who has felt very lost, confused, and alone in college before

Cook Counseling Center Information:

Main Office:

Cook Counseling Center

McComas Hall, RM 240, Virginia Tech

895 Washington St. SW

Blacksburg, VA 24061

Phone: 540-231-6557

Fax: 540-231-2104

Gif sourced from Giphy.com

Sarah Carr

Virginia Tech '20

Sarah is a current senior majoring in multimedia journalism and minoring in sociology. 
Chera Longfritz

Virginia Tech

Just a funky lil girl trying to put my thoughts into relatable words!!! I've had the dream of being Anne Hathaway's character in Devil Wears Prada since I was like three. Maybe without being someone's bitch, but you know, everyone has to start somewhere.