New Year’s Resolutions You Can Keep

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

We always have the greatest intentions when making New Year’s Resolutions. We start off strong in January, but then lose our motivation as the year goes on. Here are some resolutions that you can keep throughout the year:

1. Be Healthier

You don’t always have to lose weight to be healthier. Being healthier can involve you trying a new class at the gym such as zumba or cycling. Your exercise level may be fine. Instead you can just vow to eat a certain amount of fruits and vegetables a day, or cut back on sweets and fast food.

2. Learn Something New

You may want to pick up on how to play an instrument, learn a language, cook a new recipe, master a new skill in your sport, pick up a hobby and so much more! If you’re not in the mood to learn, try to read a new book each month. If you read a few pages a night, you’ll be amazed by how fast you fly through it.

3. Reach Out to Someone Each Week

Whether it’s meeting up for lunch or sending a text, let someone know that you’re thinking of them. This gives you a chance to catch up on how they’re doing and what’s going on in their life — so much happens each day and you don’t want to miss out. You may even want to challenge yourself more and strive to meet someone new each week.

4. Volunteer

Try to find projects that interest you around your area. This can include going to an animal shelter or even donating clothes. Any time that you give to helping others, no matter how small, will benefit you and someone else so much in the end.

5. Quit a Bad Habit

Smoking, excessive drinking and cursing are just a few examples. A bad habit may also be a character flaw; you may want to strive to be less judgmental or willing to share more. We all have weaknesses, but you have a whole year to work on them!

6. Start Saving More

This may include not going to Starbucks as often and blowing your hard earned money on a $5 latte, or not binge shopping online. It’s fine to treat yourself sometimes, but all in moderation. Save that money for a rainy day on something more useful and important!

*Trick: use cash instead of a credit card; it’s too easy to swipe a card and you lose track of how much you’re actually spending.

7. Limit Social Media

Maybe only watch two Netflix episodes a day, or be more aware of how much you idly check Instagram. Spend your free time striking up a conversation or doing something more meaningful with your day.

You may only want to pick a few resolutions to start working on at first so that you don’t become discouraged. Keep in mind that anything you do to change your lifestyle for the better is an accomplishment. And remember, you don’t only have to set goals on New Years— you can continue to better yourself everyday.

Image Sources: GIFs from Giphy.com, Rep Image from Pexels.com

Juliana Plescia

Virginia Tech

Kaley Roshitsh

Virginia Tech '18

After graduating with a B.S. in Fashion Merchandising and Design from Virginia Tech in 2018, Kaley moved to NYC to start her career with WWD – the authority on the fashion, beauty and retail industries. She is credited with the relaunch of Her Campus at Virginia Tech in 2016, serving as Campus Correspondent for 2 years, building the team to 55+ members while earning multiple Pink chapter level statuses (top-20% of over 330 chapters) and being awarded "Outstanding Organization of the Year" in 2018 at Virginia Tech. Other notable achievements include the annual "Media Mixer" gala and buildout of many strategic content initiatives.