It’s Time To Start Dating Yourself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Dating in college is hard. I don’t think that anyone would disagree with that statement. Whether you spend time on dating apps or going out with friends, it seems like college is a hard place to meet people who are looking for the same things that you are. Whether you’re looking for a significant other or not, I think that it’s important to love and care for yourself. This is why it’s time to start dating yourself. Delete the dating apps, or don’t, who cares, but spend some time with the one person who’ll always be there for you. Here are some ways you can spend time with yourself:

Take yourself out on a date.

Who says dates have to be for two? There’s something wonderful and liberating about treating yourself. So many of us are more than willing to do nice things for other people, but we struggle to make time and be generous when it comes to ourselves. Show yourself the generosity you deserve by taking yourself to the movies, a coffee shop, or even a nice dinner. Whether you are single or dating someone, you still deserve to be treated to a date. 

Talk to yourself about your feelings.

One thing that many people with significant others benefit from is having a person who’s always there for them to talk to about their feelings. Because of this, losing a significant other can be that much harder. Talking to yourself about your feelings, whether out loud or in a diary, is cathartic in many ways. Oftentimes, just getting things out can help you work through whatever needs to be addressed. Being able to talk yourself through your emotions is an important skill to have and allowing yourself the time and patience to do so is so important.

cook yourself a meal.

I don’t know about you, but I love to cook for people. Whether it’s a loved one, a friend, or a significant other, food is often used as a way to show love and appreciation. Instead of cooking for someone else, try cooking for yourself. In college especially, it’s tough to make the time to cook yourself a nutritious, wholesome meal. Making time for yourself is something nice you can do to show yourself you deserve the same appreciation.

Teach yourself something new.

One of the most fulfilling things you can do is learn something that you didn’t previously know how to do. Learning how to do something is much more satisfying when you do it alone. Try taking an art class, learning a new language on an app, or watching a cooking video. There are endless new things to try, and teaching yourself a new skill is the perfect way to show yourself the love you deserve.

Give yourself a break.

College is fast-paced, and we rarely have enough time to sit back and relax. However, sometimes the nicest, most caring thing you can do for yourself is exactly that. It’s often easy to allow those we care about the rest that we don’t even allow ourselves. The final suggestion I offer you is to treat yourself with the kindness that warrants you taking a step back, a deep breath, and a break from the craziness that is college life. Take a bath, watch your favorite show, or go on a walk. Do whatever you feel like doing that doesn’t feel like work. You deserve it.

Elizabeth Mennitt

Virginia Tech '24

I am currently a third-year student at Virginia Tech studying Political Science and Integrated Security. I love reading and painting, and you can find me most days outside with a good book.