Life > Experiences

I Started a “Morning Ritual”- Here’s How it Went

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

I recently decided I would try to adopt a “morning ritual” to my routine. A morning ritual is something you do every morning without fail, preferably as soon as you wake up. When I decided to incorporate a morning ritual, I had doubts about its effects. I had heard of successful people like Michelle Obama using a “morning ritual” to feel structured and focused for the day ahead, but I assumed it was just a wellness buzzword. After trying a morning ritual for curiosity’s sake, I can safely say that is not the case. 

Choosing my morning ritual was difficult because there were so many options. I appreciate how easily accessible the morning ritual is. It does not have to be too much to handle. It can be something as simple as making the perfect cup of coffee. Chuck Longanecker, founder of Digital Telepathy, uses this ritual himself: “The process of getting the grind right, heating the water to exactly 204 degrees, and brewing by hand wakes up the creative side of my brain. It’s nice to make something from scratch to start your day.” There’s also meditation, a ritual adapted by Nichole Elizabeth DeMer from Community Growth at Inbound.org: “I meditate every morning, whether through doing yoga, reading chakra affirmations, or listening to Tibetan singing bowls. Meditation helps to keep my mind clear so that I can focus.” Seeing the diversity and simplicity in what a “ritual” could be helped me realize it doesn’t have to be torture. The most important thing is choosing something that you can and will do every day. So, I decided that drinking a glass of water every morning would be my ritual. 

After a week of my routine, I already felt better. I wasn’t just choosing to drink water. I was also choosing not to look at my phone first thing in the morning. I was choosing not to stress as soon as I woke up. I was choosing to take a moment of reflection and do something for myself and my wellness. 

The morning ritual isn’t just beneficial for me, it is recommended for all people by clinicians. According to Katherine R. Arlinghaus, MS, RD, and Craig A. Johnston, Ph.D., having a ritual can help you manage stress more effectively, leading to less anxiety and risk for heart disease. Maintaining consistency with your ritual can also regulate sleeping and waking times and improve sleep quality overall. 

Cheryl Beutell, APRN, emphasizes that a routine is how you build habits. While drinking water every morning has not been a difficult promise for me to keep to myself, it helped me create more discipline in my life. Starting this ritual has been just one stepping stone to becoming a more disciplined and goal-oriented person. If you want to show up for yourself every day, a morning ritual may be the perfect way to start. 

Allie McBride

Virginia Tech '26

Hi! I'm Allie from northern VA, and I'm an English major. I love baking, playing video games, and talking about the latest TV show I'm obsessed with. I love to dance and I'm always down for some arts and crafts.