This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Have you ever spent countless hours on Pinterest, scrolling through an absurd amount of hacks to get that perfect, glowy complexion? I know I have. I used to fall asleep every night, praying to wake up with perfect skin. Did it ever happen? No.

I knew if I ever wanted to have that dewy, fresh complexion I dreamed about, I’d have to actually change something in my lifestyle. As someone who is not willing to alter my diet, I knew changing my eating habits was out of the question. I didn’t eat terribly, but I had a sweet tooth I had no control over.

I thought about a new routine. Maybe I’d buy some new products, give my skin a new set of cleansers and moisturizers. However, my college budget couldn’t swing a brand new skincare routine. Saying that, it is good to know that we shouldn’t sleep on drugstore skincare. Just because it was pulled of a shelf in CVS, doesn’t mean it’ll destroy our complexions.

After all of this contemplation, I decided I’d have to do something a little more immediate. I usually wore a full face of makeup every day, using mixes of foundations, concealers, and powders to hide my skin. Though the routine was tedious, I loved makeup.

Despite my dedication to my usual routine, I decided a good break for my skin could be beneficial. I realized I didn’t feel beautiful without makeup on. I vowed to stop wearing makeup for at least four weeks, turning the idea into a small, personal experiment.

In the first few days, it was hard. My skin was visibly breaking out and I didn’t have foundation or concealer to cover the blemishes. I felt pretty self-conscious and felt that I looked exhausted without makeup on. To prevent the recurrence of the blemishes, I bought a few face masks and invested a small amount of money into my skincare. Simple sheet masks can do wonders for those trying to save a buck. After a few days, the blemishes reduced and eventually stopped appearing, boosting my confidence.

I had a simple skin-care routine: cleanse with a gentle cleanser, toning with witch hazel before applying generous amounts of cream moisturizer. I used a vitamin C facial serum every few days to boost my “glow.” I used Vaseline on my eyelashes and eyebrows to moisturize them and promote growth.

In addition to not wearing makeup, I also doubled my intake of water and drank 1-2 cups of green tea everyday. Not only does this hydrate skin and keep it blemish-free, but I just felt better. I also made a stronger effort to relax, spending at least one hour every day doing something I wanted to do, whether it was reading or going on a walk. Stress influences the skin to break out.

After one week, my blemishes slowly cleared up. After two weeks, I noticed I wasn’t breaking out anymore. In the third and fourth weeks, my skin felt radiant and I was more comfortable not wearing makeup.

After seeing the results, I haven’t been tempted to start wearing foundation again. I believe it is essential to feel beautiful in one’s skin, and I had realized how vulnerable I had become when I wasn’t wearing makeup. The no-makeup experiment not only rejuvenated my skin, but boosted my own self-confidence.

This routine definitely took some getting used to, I even hated the routine while I was doing it. However, after the first week or so, I started to see the results I was looking for. I used to always strive for that natural “no-makeup” makeup look, but it feels much more rewarding when I truly feel beautiful without makeup on.

Image sources thumbnail/1/2/3: Pexels

An animal lover who drinks too much coffee, crochets blankets and recklessly loves people. I never underestimate a good book and a pretty view.
Proud to be Virginia Tech's Her Campus chapter!