This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

After a year and a half online, we are finally back in person. After getting so used to waking up 15 minutes before my Zoom class, quickly brushing my teeth and throwing on an oversized sweatshirt, how on Earth am I supposed to go back in person? How do I go from seeing a handful of people at the most each week to being on campus with over 30,000 people daily? Just thinking about it makes me uneasy and my anxiety-ridden hands shake, but hey, I’ve done it before, right?

The most important thing to keep in mind as we go back in person is your health. In a time so consumed with sickness and staying healthy, we can’t forget that just because we’re “returning to normal,” as so many are saying. The truth is that we aren’t returning to normal — we’re simply learning how to adapt to such a difficult time. And that includes your professors; they are in the same boat as you, wondering how to change their teaching styles and course schedule in order to keep their students’ best interests in mind. I’ve had a couple professors this semester tell us that if we are ever feeling unwell, don’t come to class, just attend via Zoom and you’ll still get attendance points. I even had one professor tell me that if I’m feeling overwhelmed and scared, go to her first. Remember: it’s all right to feel overwhelmed. Don’t just assume your professors aren’t willing to work with you, talk to them. 

Even though Virginia Tech students are required to be vaccinated or tested weekly, it’s still important to follow the mask rules inside buildings and social distance when possible. After our first two and a half weeks on campus, I’ve seen so many people either not wearing a mask at all or just wearing it downright wrong, which is bothersome. I’ve also noticed that sometimes it’s impossible to social distance, and after spending a year and a half holed up in my apartment, it makes me extremely nervous. That being said, I’ve learned to put my head down and push through the crowds and find a seat in the corner of the classroom by myself. It can be uncomfortable, but I’m learning how to adapt. 

As we return to in-person classes after what feels like an eternity, it’s important to keep not only your physical but also your mental health in mind as you establish a healthy routine. Personally, that looks like going to class, wearing my mask, minding my business, and then going home and doing my homework where I feel comfortable. For you, that might look different, and that’s OK. It’s all about what feels comfortable to you while keeping the health of others in mind. Do your part, Hokies. 

Ally Ford

Virginia Tech '22

About me: a senior at Virginia Tech pursuing a dual degree in multimedia journalism and Spanish with a minor in professional and technical writing who enjoys driving with no destination, watching sunsets on the beach, mint chocolate chip ice cream and writing for Her Campus.