Self Care Day?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Self Care Day?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Graphic By Addie Abujade
Wellness

How I’m Practicing Self-Love This Valentine’s Day Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

In my last semester of college, I’m finding every reason I can these days to focus on myself and de-stress. Why do my homework or get started on a project when I could Google new air fryer recipes, take a nap with my cats, or watch my favorite movies? I have priorities, and I’m not sorry. This Valentine’s Day season, AKA the entire month of February, I plan to do whatever makes me happy.

taking care of my health

This month, I’m dedicated to feeling better. I’m making doctor’s appointments left and right, drinking more water, and eating to fuel my body. Being hydrated and getting all of my nutrients is vital to keeping your health in check. By being committed to drinking enough water each day, making sure I stay away from gluten and dairy, taking all of my supplements, and talking to doctors about my health concerns, I will be the best version of myself.

getting plenty of rest

After just two and a half weeks of class, I am exhausted. My body needs sleep, and if that means taking two or three catnaps throughout the day, then that’s what I’m going to do. There is no worse feeling than being run down, burnt out and generally deflated. To fight falling asleep in class, I will be napping every chance I get.

Facetiming my boyfriend

Ah, yes, who doesn’t love being in an LDR on Valentine’s Day? Even though we can’t be together in person, we can talk and spend time together on the phone. I wouldn’t be happy if I went the entire day without seeing him, let alone talking to him, so I’m going to schedule some time for us to talk. I think it’s important to make time for your partner, whatever that looks like.

going to the gym — when i feel like it

I’ve been so concerned with getting to the gym every day that I’m starting to feel overwhelmed. Going to the gym always makes me feel better; I leave loving my body and with a clear head. But, if just the idea of going makes me overwhelmed, I think I’m doing something wrong. Instead of focusing on going every day, I’m going to try only going when my body feels like it. If I’m tired, stressed or sick, I won’t go.

buying a new outfit

OK, I know blowing my entire bank account on clothes isn’t the best idea, but, man, does it feel good. When I go out somewhere, I need an outfit that makes me feel confident. Because I’m so introverted, I need an outfit to help me get out of my comfort zone and be social. So, yes, I will be buying an outfit this weekend. Don’t tell my mom.

having a spa day in my apartment

I can’t remember the last time I took a bath just to sit and relax. Having a spa day to take a bath, do a hair mask and paint my toenails sounds like exactly what I need right now. I’ll have to take a trip to Ulta to grab everything I need and spend a day taking care of myself for a change.

Valentine’s Day is full of people catering to their partners, but it’s important to take care of yourself as well. If there’s an activity that sounds fun to you, just do it. Listen to that podcast, bake that cake, deep clean that apartment — do whatever it is that you want to do. Have a Valentine’s Day for yourself; it doesn’t matter if you’re single or in a relationship, you have to put your needs first sometimes.

Ally Ford

Virginia Tech '22

About me: a senior at Virginia Tech pursuing a dual degree in multimedia journalism and Spanish with a minor in professional and technical writing who enjoys driving with no destination, watching sunsets on the beach, mint chocolate chip ice cream and writing for Her Campus.