This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Becoming a Resident Advisor (RA) was never a part of my plan, the best things never really are. Now, I could not imagine my college experience without this role. Through all the messy parts – the phone calls, paperwork, late nights and tough conversations – there are the moments that remind me why I am so thankful this opportunity came into my life.

There is a stereotype with RAs…you know exactly what I’m talking about… and I had the same idea in my head before I met my RA freshman year. Movies and television portray RAs as uptight hall police handing out conduct referrals like they are candy. We hear stories from our parents about how they pranked their stick-in-the-mud RAs. In 2018, however, these overplayed stereotypes are out of touch with the reality of the role. RAs enforce policy, yes; this includes stepping in when it comes to underage drinking, noise violations, substance use, Title IX,  discrimination incidents and other similar issues. RAs are also a support system for residents, acting as a guide for knowing how to handle disagreements, homesickness and emotional distress. We program events to build community in the residence halls, work to create an environment that prioritizes inclusion and acceptance, and push residents to challenge themselves and grow as students and individuals.  

I became an RA because of my own RA freshman year. At move-in a year ago, it was her smile that reassured all my nerves about leaving home and not knowing anyone. Throughout my entire application process, she was there supporting me every step of the way. When I received an offer, she was one of the first people I told. Having a close relationship with my RA and seeing her as a mentor was what I knew I wanted to create with my own residents when I stepped into her shoes. Now that I’m on the other side of the equation, the RA-resident relationship is even more special. Becoming an RA means you have the chance to change people’s lives, in big and little ways. 

The biggest surprise for me with the role was the friendships. RA staffs have weekly meetings, go on rounds together and support one another. Unlike any friendships I’ve had with coworkers in the past, with the RA staff I’m on everyone has the same goal: to create a fun, safe place residents enjoy living in. Student staff members are really the only people who can relate to what you go through, both the successes and failures.

There are long, late nights where just about anything that could happen, does. RAs have to handle hall maintenance issues, 3 AM lockouts, and are basically the glue that keeps residence halls together (except for housekeepers, the phenomenal individuals that make sure there is something even there to hold together in the first place. If you haven’t already go thank yours!).  Becoming an RA has allowed me to impact others’ lives and have my own life forever changed. Before the position, I wasn’t a confident leader. I would doubt my decisions and deal with insecurities. Now, I trust my gut and enjoy leading others in the right direction. Becoming an RA has empowered me and given me experiences I’ll never forget.

If you are interested in becoming an RA at Virginia Tech click here!

Jessica Mardian

Virginia Tech '21

Jessica is a senior at Virginia Tech, double majoring in Creative Writing and Multimedia Journalism. 
Chera Longfritz

Virginia Tech

Just a funky lil girl trying to put my thoughts into relatable words!!! I've had the dream of being Anne Hathaway's character in Devil Wears Prada since I was like three. Maybe without being someone's bitch, but you know, everyone has to start somewhere.