This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

The biggest event of the summer for collegiettes is the gathering of Her Campus chapters from across the country (and world) at the annual Her Conference. Two of our members got the opportunity this past summer to take part in Her Conference over a weekend in New York City. If you’re thinking about getting involved, or are interested in attending the conference this upcoming summer, then keep reading to hear about the experiences our members had and why it was so special for them!

How are you involved in Her Campus and why did you get involved?

Ashleigh: I started in Fall 2017 as a writer, and I am currently a writer and social media director for our chapter. I got involved when I went through a really rough depression and I felt like I needed a new outlet for my thoughts and I wanted to get more involved on campus.

Maggie: I’m on the street team (PR, planning, etc.) and an editor as well. I got involved because it stood out to me at Gobblerfest last year and I love the emphasis of a “girl gang” the chapter has and the passion we all have for it.

Why did you want to go to Her Conference?

Ashleigh: I knew that going into my senior year I wanted to be more involved in the growth of our chapter and I knew that the information in a lot of the sessions would not only help with that but it would help me in guiding myself into a possible career path in the writing or marketing fields.

Maggie: I went to Her Conference because of all the experience and fun I’ve had at VT’s chapter and I wanted to meet with people from different chapters. Also I’ve heard such good things about it!

What were your expectations/what did you look forward to the most?

Ashleigh: I was most excited to hear from some of my favorite actors. I was expecting a little bit of swag, but the amount of amazing products we were given blew me away!

Maggie: I looked forward to listening to the women leaders from the different panels and keynotes, meeting new people, and of course the free goodies! :)

Who was your favorite keynote(s)?

Ashleigh: Jen Welter and Aisha Dee (I fangirled when I got to talk to her) were my top keynotes. They were all so different and really spoke about their experiences as women in their fields and each one of them had so much insight on how important it is to pursue what you love and want regardless of the obstacles in front of you.

Maggie: I loved Dr. Jen Welter because she’s a great example of what it’s like to be a leader for women and anyone in general. Her story is amazing and I think, for me, passion is key to being a leader and she really embraced that.

What was the most memorable message you took away from one of the keynote speakers?

Ashleigh: When Samantha Barry was discussing her first issue of Glamour as editor-in-chief and how surprised she was when so many women didn’t have a ‘fuck-off fund’. It really showcased how women don’t learn and talk about important life lessons the way men do and how it’s a socially normal thing for women to not know these things.

Maggie: I think the most memorable message I got from the LadyGang was that you don’t need to define yourself then and there (in college). You’re constantly expanding, so you need to make sure you’re open-minded. For me, people sometimes think they need to have their life all figured out in college and have a post-grad plan immediately, but it’s also really important to recognize that your always changing. Whether it’s your interests or physical/mental self, it’s okay to not have a set plan or a set future.

What types of panels did you attend? Why did you choose them (pick two)?

Ashleigh: Be Your Own Boss: In the past year or so I’ve slowly begun to take myself seriously as a leader in my community and I know that my end goal is to help others. I know that being a woman in the workforce is hard enough, but being the boss means you not only have to prove to yourself that you’re the best, but you also have to prove it to everyone else. I wanted to get firsthand knowledge from female entrepreneurs on what it was like to start their own companies and what drove them to keep pushing even when people tried to stop them. Reclaiming Kindness (might not be the exact name of the panel): Again this was based on my interest in women in power and how they are able to overcome stereotypes. I got to hear and learn why it’s okay to still be nice but to still know how to voice your opinion and be recognized as someone who knows what they are talking about. You have to let yourself shine and use what you already know you succeeded at to help push you to continue to grow and succeed.

Maggie: Fear Less, Do More: I feel like I fear a lot of things and I wanted to see what the panel was about and how I could fear less. I actually started a ‘one new thing a day challenge’ for 30 days but failed to complete it; but it was really cool seeing Michelle’s experience with her challenge and how it turned out. Dr. Lauren’s Ceremony: One of the girls I met that day was talking about how much she loved Dr. Lauren and encouraged me to attend her panel. I really liked it because she makes you feel good about yourself and I also did a research project about body positivity/negativity and the importance of it and she makes you think harder into all of this.

What were some takeaways from the panels you went to?

Ashleigh: “Don’t let people make you feel bad for speaking up for what you know you deserve” – Becca Tobin (LadyGang)

Maggie: “Enemy of success isn’t failure, it’s comfort” (Fear Less, Do More panel), “You don’t have to be a girl to dress like a girl” (Nico — people are stuck on certain ‘rules’ that society sets, I like this because just because you dress or look a certain way, doesn’t mean it defines you’), “You’re the only one who does what you do so there is NO comparison” (Dr. Lauren, it’s important to stop comparing yourself to others and embrace self-love).

What was your favorite part of Her Conference?

Ashleigh: I loved the nail bar, a girl was leaving early and was nice enough to give me her spot to get my nails done because I was complaining about them chipping. I also enjoyed getting to meet new girls from different chapters because it really showed how different we all are and why it makes HC such a great place for girls to come together and learn about each other.

Maggie: I loved all the free food and photo spots! I also loved the Ulta Beauty free hair salon, I got my hair done and felt good about myself for the rest of the day!

Would you go again?

Ashleigh: I’m hoping and actively planning to try to go again this coming summer and I hope we can get more VT girls to go as a final bonding trip before the graduating girls leave for grad school and adulthood. I would recommend for anyone interested in marketing, writing, editing, etc. to check it out because it’s a great place to network and get advice from some amazing women.

Maggie: I would 100% go again and totally recommend other people to go, even if they aren’t in Her Campus! I think it was an experience of a lifetime. You not only get to meet and network with new people, but I feel like in a way it helps you discover more about yourself and the potential the future holds for you. The keynote and panel speakers are there to encourage you and to remind you that you can be the best at what you do, you just need to put in your best effort for it.

Images:

All photos provided by Ashleigh Griffin and Maggie Hwang

All Gifs from Giphy.com

Ashleigh Griffin

Virginia Tech '19

Ashleigh is a graduate from Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University.  She received a Bachelor's of Science in Food Science and Technology. Her future career will hopefully combine both her knowledge of the food industry and the importance of marketing and brand management. 
Chera Longfritz

Virginia Tech

Just a funky lil girl trying to put my thoughts into relatable words!!! I've had the dream of being Anne Hathaway's character in Devil Wears Prada since I was like three. Maybe without being someone's bitch, but you know, everyone has to start somewhere.