Her Campus VT’s Alternative Housing Reviews

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

In effort of compiling a definitive guide to off-campus housing for Virginia Tech students, we ran into a few barriers with our method of data collection. First, there were only a limited number of responses for our survey. Second, the survey results were not at all comprehensive or representative of all the intended options. However, we noticed the trend for other housing options from our small survey. Thus, we present alternatives to those looking to move off campus. Please use this as a reference, in addition to attending the Fall 2016 Off-Campus Housing Fair today (10.26). 

Places you’ve heard of… 

The Retreat

“There are a lot of parties and beer cans end up everywhere. The pool is always trashed over the weekend but it gets cleaned up fast. There is a carpenter boulevard bus, but it’s not very convenient with class times so I always drive.” -Virginia, Junior living at The Retreat. 

The Edge

Collegiate Suites

“Collegiate Suites has great quality for a great price.” -Bryli, Junior living at Collegiate Suites.

“Maintenance comes so quickly after submitting a report and they are so helpful and nice!” -Estefania, Sophomore living at Collegiate Suites. 

Terrace View

“Washer and dryer is too expensive and Terrace View needs to be renovated.” – Madison, Junior living at Terrace View. 

“Terrace View has some nice apartments, but the management is horrible.” – Bailey, Junior living at Terrace View. 

Hunters Ridge

“The place is kind of old, but it is still very nice to live in. If you get furnished, you get a bed frame for a twin xl bed (instead of a full). This is a little inconvenient.” Anmol, Sophomore living at Hunters Ridge. 

Foxridge 

“Administrators can be frustrating at times but the actual facilities are well maintained and cleaned.” -Turner, Junior living at Foxridge. 

“Management sucks and you get what you pay for but its safe and cheap. The free heat is amazing come winter.” -Katt, Senior living at Foxridge.

Maple Ridge

“While overall it is a nice place, management doesn’t do the best job of making sure that everything looks great before you move in.” -Monica, Sophomore living at Maple Ridge. 

The Village

“One of the main reasons I picked my apartment was because it came fully furnished. That was as big deal considering I live in Georgia and I couldn’t bring any of my things from back home to VT!” – Rhana, Junior living at The Village. 

Pheasant Run Court

Places you’ve never heard of…

Sturbridge Gardens

“I love it here! I have my own bathroom and I’m next to Kroger.” -Emily, Junior living at Sturbridge Gardens.

Ivy Gardens

“They do 6 month leases. I live in a single efficiency unit studio. Everything is included except internet for $550. Their definition of air conditioning is bullshit–they control it. I’m basically on campus though, it’s right next to the Beta frat house near upper quad. Raines Property Management sucks though, so you’ll have to deal with them some. ” Anna, Senior living at Ivy Gardens. 

Windsor Hills 

Smith’s Landing 

“[Only complaint:] The pigeons.” -Becca, Sophomore living at Smith’s Landing. 

Collegiate Court

Duplexes, Townhomes, Quadplexes: What’s the verdict?

“Other than TNT Property Management not being great, I love where I live and I would recommend looking into alternatives to big apartment complexes. It feels more like home, the price is great, and I can easily walk to class and downtown.” -Delia, Grad student living in a duplex near downtown. 

“Lots of space and a great price. They have no guest parking though.” -Sarah, Senior living at Shenandoah Townhouses. 

Best of luck in your housing search Hokies!

Image sources: Sturbridge | The Retreat | The Edge | Ivy Gardens | Collegiate Suites | Terrace View | Hunters Ridge | Windsor Hills | Foxridge | Maple Ridge | The Village | Smith’s Landing | Pheasant Run Court | Collegiate Court

Kaley Roshitsh

Virginia Tech '18

After graduating with a B.S. in Fashion Merchandising and Design from Virginia Tech in 2018, Kaley moved to NYC to start her career with WWD – the authority on the fashion, beauty and retail industries. She is credited with the relaunch of Her Campus at Virginia Tech in 2016, serving as Campus Correspondent for 2 years, building the team to 55+ members while earning multiple Pink chapter level statuses (top-20% of over 330 chapters) and being awarded "Outstanding Organization of the Year" in 2018 at Virginia Tech. Other notable achievements include the annual "Media Mixer" gala and buildout of many strategic content initiatives.