This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Considering the recent world events that we are experiencing, it has become easy to fall victim to anxiety or depression.

If you are struggling or find yourself struggling in the future, I have a piece of unsolicited advice. Start making a list. A list each day, mental or physical of the positive things going on. It could be good things that happened that day, things you are thankful for, or things that made you smile.

Woman smiling
Photo by Jeryd Gillum on Unsplash

Time with family – Many of us find ourselves busy throughout the semesters with our classes, jobs, and extracurricular activities that can take away opportunities to go home and spend time with our families. Now with those things being unavailable, we can focus on quality time with our loved ones that we can cherish forever.

Springtime – There is never a good time for a global health crisis, but I think springtime may be the best. Spring has always been a reminder to me that life always renews itself. No matter what is happening in the world and our lives, the Earth continues to turn, and the seasons continue to change. With spring, the blooming trees and flowers and warming temperatures are something to be thankful for each day. Taking advantage of the nice weather and getting fresh air (if you are able to) is a great way to stay happy and healthy, especially now.

Technology – Modern technology may have many flaws, but now I can’t find myself thinking of any. In a time where socialization has been deemed dangerous to our health and the health of others, being able to keep in touch with family and friends that we are unable to physically be with is a blessing. Relationships are a crucial part of our lives, especially during this time. Connecting with others and feeling a sense of community will help us get through this together. 

Self-care – While current events can be distressing, it is important to focus on yourself and your well-being. Self-care might never be as important as it is right now. Spending time catching up on sleep, doing face masks, taking bubbles baths, and keeping your nails painted are small activities, but can go a long way in keeping self-love and confidence lifted. 

self-love
Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media

These are just a few things that I have found myself thankful for throughout this time. Keeping a positive mindset during trying times will not only keep your morale boosted but also contribute to your health, both mental and physical well-being. There are countless ways to do this, but simply finding joy in the small things will go a long way. Sit down and really think about what you can do for YOUR self because you deserve it. 

Eva Cregger

Virginia Tech '20

An old soul with modern views of the world that loves movies, music, traveling and anything sweet. Majoring in Communication Studies at Virginia Tech. I am a proud Hokie & HerCampus member
Proud to be Virginia Tech's Her Campus chapter!